Alternative surrogator equipment

Maybe I should rephase my statement. I was thinking it looked like a unit to propagate rednecks.;)

Getting my habitat ready to go -- looking at ways to speed up my quail pop. What do you think about this as an alternative to a surrogator??

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/1702513366.html

At the PF Pheasant Fest in Des Moines this winter, PF made a formal statement denouncing the surrogator (or anything like it) and release of non-native birds as a complete waste of time and money in regards to establishing sustainable and huntable populations of either quail or pheasants.

If you have native populations and you build the habitat they will come or look into ways to get or buy trapped real wild birds.

These gimmicks take the focus off the real deal which is habitat.

Nebraska Releases Preliminary Results from Surrogator Study

In 2008, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission purchased 4 Surrogator units and placed them on 4 wildlife management areas across Nebraska. Surrogators were placed in areas with quality pheasant habitat, and chicks were purchased and released according to the manufacturerâ??s guidelines. In order to track survival rate, the Commission placed radio transmitters on 79 chicks. Approximately 50 days after releasing the birds, only 9 were still alive (89% mortality).

The Game and Parks Commission also marked 122 other chicks with deuterium water and will look at hunter harvest success on the four areas. Results of hunter success is not yet available. It is important to note that this is an ongoing study, but preliminary results indicate poor survival of released birds. While many people may dismiss the results of this study, it supports data from another study done in Georgia using the Surrogator release system. Habitat is still the most effective method to increase pheasant and quail numbers!

Yes. I'm in SE Kansas. I'll have to read that thread..

You were moving to Iola, if I recall.

Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever is currently putting Farm Bill Biologist on the ground in Kansas. I think four or five have been hired recently and there is a possibility that there may be as many as thirteen by year end. The goal is to provide every landowner in Kansas the opportunity(if they want) to have a customized wildlife habitat plan for their land. That program is working in other states.

Nebraska Releases Preliminary Results from Surrogator Study

The Game and Parks Commission also marked 122 other chicks with deuterium water and will look at hunter harvest success on the four areas. Results of hunter success is not yet available. It is important to note that this is an ongoing study, but preliminary results indicate poor survival of released birds. While many people may dismiss the results of this study, it supports data from another study done in Georgia using the Surrogator release system. Habitat is still the most effective method to increase pheasant and quail numbers!

Highly agree on that habitat is key vs surrogator only method. I walked our 300 acre property with KS Biologist and habitat is good -- just looking for immediate measures to introduce more birds to youth and training dogs.

Highly agree on that habitat is key vs surrogator only method. I walked our 300 acre property with KS Biologist and habitat is good -- just looking for immediate measures to introduce more birds to youth and training dogs.

A guide I know that trains on his property uses a simple waterer and call back system to keep released birds on the property/area. Sounds more like what you are looking for.

Back