all those birds

What do you do with all those birds? Planning on hunting 11 days in northeast Montana. In years past we did shorter trips. With that many days and potential for lots of birds how do you stay legal on possession limits we can only eat so many well hunting. And the dogs will not be helping to eat birds.

Enjoy the hunt, target different species and don't worry about filling your bag limit each day? Thats what I would do.:cheers:

Last edited:
david0311

Find the closest fed ex or UPS and gift/ship a possession limit to your wife.

Very-Very grey area if not out right violation--to wife -your residence ( I would assume)

Would still be considered part of your limit --unless wife had valid license of her own--JMO

Why would you be able to gift birds to a stranger but not to someone in your immediate family. Donation to a food shelf might make you feel good but how many of those birds just end up in a dumpster?

If you hunt on any private land you can offer to share your harvest with the land owner but still, eating a few pheasants for dinner plus targeting other species (sharps, huns, sage hens) should keep you occupied I would think.

Why would you be able to gift birds to a stranger but not to someone in your immediate family. Donation to a food shelf might make you feel good but how many of those birds just end up in a dumpster?

Its called an arms length transaction. I am not sure if it is legal or not. Offering to a complete stranger differs from giving to your immediate family. I could see how it could be construed that you were trying to skirt possession laws, which come to think of it is what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Last year guys that were camped next to us had a chest freezer and where cleaning and bagging birds and freezing them. Assuming if they left a leg attached and were under the possession limit they where legal.considering the chest freezer at camp is not your primary residence. Also see in the Montana regs that when shipping game you must include your ALS# along with a signature and state how many birds were involved. Not trying to fill the freezer, just have a great hunt with my buddy and both our young dogs and aging father's.

I emailed the MT GFP folks last year looking for options. There weren't any. Eat them or quit hunting. Turns out it didnt make any difference to me..:(

david0311

Possession-- Is the question here--those birds are still in your possession--in transit--or at your residence according to laws in most states or at least the ones I'm familiar with--

Also if you think Wardens in rural areas are aware of this ruse--your mistaken

One other --if you ship-transport illegal taken or possesed game across state lines you could be in violation of Federal Law

Not worth it--

Enjoy your hunt --AND BON-APPETIT :)

limits

I think you will find that the fine print says you are allowed x number of birds in your harvest. so, you shoot your limit, give them to the farmer and then go shoot another, you still only have the limit in your possession BUT you have broken the law. think you will also find that while you are in your home you have some pretty serious rights against police powers entering and those rights do not extend to you away from home, like a camp, trailer, truck etc.
use your extra time to enjoy the outdoors, maybe do some training, dog work, find other hot spots and just be happy you watched a bird get away for a change

cheers

Do what I do after my daily limit. Go explore, put miles on the truck, get on the 2 tracks, back country, there is a LOT to see in Eastern MT. Take a couple days and go into the Little Belts, Think Blues and Ruffs. Lots of Badlands in
Eastern MT, BLM Lands all have Sharpies and Huns. Take a fishing pole along, there are tons of fishing access sites. Waterfowl, go jump some Mallards.

Sage Grouse Season closes Sept 30.

Go to some local museums, homestead and RR history info is without end.

What to do after you have a limit of roosters.:confused:
NEVER have I had trouble figuring that out. :cheers:

You will probably want to take at least one if not two rest days or half days if you are hunting hard in both mornings and afternoons. There may be some interesting places to visit on rest days. If you are using dogs, you can limit yourself to shots off points or flushes rather than at any bird in range. Your dogs will want some rest time too. Of course, eat birds for "camp meat" if you can. If dry ice is available, you might be able to ship some birds home, another project for a rest period.

Do what I do after my daily limit. Go explore, put miles on the truck, get on the 2 tracks, back country, there is a LOT to see in Eastern MT. Take a couple days and go into the Little Belts, Think Blues and Ruffs. Lots of Badlands in
Eastern MT, BLM Lands all have Sharpies and Huns. Take a fishing pole along, there are tons of fishing access sites. Waterfowl, go jump some Mallards.

My thoughts exactly. :cheers:

david0311

One other thing that worked very well for me was after filling out or the dogs and me needing a rest that helped me get on and stay on land for the last twenty some years was--

Helping the farmer at that time of the year--

I've helped work cattle--hauled hay--picked corn--beans ect.-ran for parts (sometimes long distances) not only helps with land your hunting --but when neighbors stop to visit and they see you climbing down from equipment are much more likely to be open to you hunting their property--help at that time can mean a lot more than

Plus we have become great friends--just a thought--:)

I have had many days eating pheasant wild rice soup, pheasant in the crock pot, pheasant breast sandwiches, etc! Eat them then go shoot more the next day. Conservation officers do not take kindly to people who stretch the limits of the law. In the end it is not worth it.

Thanks guys. Talked to a game worden today that confirmed "eat more roosters". leftovers in a pan and nine birds would put you over the limit. We usually eat a lot of birds on our trip but always bring elk and other food just in case.

You could always buy a North Dakota license and jump the border to do more hunting. Just make sure your Montana birds are tagged properly.

Back