After Thanksgiving report

sjohn

4 of us with 4 labs spent 6 days hunting douglas and hutchinson counties. We hunted a little private, a little public, and a good amount of min maintenance roads. The private places were flat out slammed with birds. Never saw so many and we have been hunting the same private ground for 5-10 years. We managed to do well on public even with boot tracks in the snow from earlier in the morning. You have to walk all of the public to the very backs, which a lot of people avoid. Also the fence rows near the public. We walked one piece of crep with only about 30% of habitat uncut. Pushed about half dozen birds out of about 50 acreas and my one buddy left the cover and walked up the fence row with only about 10 feet wide of grass trip along the fence and jumped about 3 dozen. It's the small overlooked areas the pheasant find by accident or by design. Minimum maintenance road hunting was about as good as it ever has been. If it had corn/beans on two sides and not mowed, it had birds. Birds were where you would not expect them. It was good. We picked up 62 roosters and 3 quail. We did well on our cripples and only lost two birds which was pretty amazing. Fortunately we had plenty of dog power. Saw partridge for the first time ever and jumped the same covey two times. We were in the truck both times they flushed. They were in the middle of a min maint road. We gave away about 20lbs of shelled pecans to our friends, hosts and private land owners. A successful year for sure. Wish the best for all you that are still waiting to go or waiting to go back. john

Attachments

• sd1.jpg
    sd1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • sd2.jpg
    sd2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 77
Your Lab looks like my Whisky. Thanks for the great report.

4 of us with 4 labs spent 6 days hunting douglas and hutchinson counties. We hunted a little private, a little public, and a good amount of min maintenance roads. The private places were flat out slammed with birds. Never saw so many and we have been hunting the same private ground for 5-10 years. We managed to do well on public even with boot tracks in the snow from earlier in the morning. You have to walk all of the public to the very backs, which a lot of people avoid. Also the fence rows near the public. We walked one piece of crep with only about 30% of habitat uncut. Pushed about half dozen birds out of about 50 acreas and my one buddy left the cover and walked up the fence row with only about 10 feet wide of grass trip along the fence and jumped about 3 dozen. It's the small overlooked areas the pheasant find by accident or by design. Minimum maintenance road hunting was about as good as it ever has been. If it had corn/beans on two sides and not mowed, it had birds. Birds were where you would not expect them. It was good. We picked up 62 roosters and 3 quail. We did well on our cripples and only lost two birds which was pretty amazing. Fortunately we had plenty of dog power. Saw partridge for the first time ever and jumped the same covey two times. We were in the truck both times they flushed. They were in the middle of a min maint road. We gave away about 20lbs of shelled pecans to our friends, hosts and private land owners. A successful year for sure. Wish the best for all you that are still waiting to go or waiting to go back. john
Sjohn: Sounds like you had a grand time of it! However, I was wondering - 15 in possession limit per hunter, would be 60. According to your post you had 62. Isn't that over the limit?

Crazy idea here.... maybe they ate some of them. Good grief.
I eat a bird and a side salad (or a can of corn) almost every night, especially if I’m staying / hunting longer than 5 days. Easier than worrying about getting them frozen. Plus they taste better the night they give up their existence to me 😜

I appreciate all the skepticism... and I have been off work for the last 4 weeks so I have not been at a computer. It was nice! We hunted 6.5 days. We were never over the limit. Limit is 3 per day. Limit to take out of state is 15 per person. We only took about 45 birds home. The rest we shared with other hunters that were not as efficient as us and with our farmer friends that wanted a few.

Thank you Fullchoke and AKP for looking for the high road! For others that question my integrity and honesty, you must not follow this forum much or pay attention to the regular contributors like myself.

I am curious on how you manage life without a computer. Do you invest, bank, manage credit cards, communicate (email) all on your phone ?

When I am not at work, everything is done on my phone. That should not shock anyone. When I retire, I will buy a computer for home use. Wife has one in an emergency now but the last thing I want to do when I am not working is spend more time at a computer. Woodcock opened on the 18th so I have been hard after them. My young lab pointed 4 out of first 6 I killed this year. Getting used to hunting behind a pointing lab. If they hold she will point if she gets within about 8 feet of them.

I appreciate all the skepticism... and I have been off work for the last 4 weeks so I have not been at a computer. It was nice! We hunted 6.5 days. We were never over the limit. Limit is 3 per day. Limit to take out of state is 15 per person. We only took about 45 birds home. The rest we shared with other hunters that were not as efficient as us and with our farmer friends that wanted a few.

Thank you Fullchoke and AKP for looking for the high road! For others that question my integrity and honesty, you must not follow this forum much or pay attention to the regular contributors like myself.
sjohn: Your first message said,"we picked up 62 roosters." There was no mention of giving them away, to reach 15 per person possession...

FYI Picking up 62 roosters is not illegal. I was not aware complete disclosure of final disposition of roosters was required while posting on this forum. Would it bother you if I told you I killed 6 roosters all on the same day without disclosing we were hunting under party rules? Just asking.

Quantifying hunting/fishing results, or your income, online or in the coffee shop or bar, isn’t always received well…human nature. Probably ok for most people, some not necessarily happy for others’ success. Not saying that’s the issue here, but there always have been internet game wardens watching…they may have honorable intentions…I don’t believe we’re gonna change anyone here, not that anyone needs changing…I’m never shocked where these threads go…kind of expect it, actually, based on the history of what goes on here.

Back