advise, your opinion

dansan

today I was in Washington county I saw 3 rooster and 3 hens, the rooster far away like 50 60 yards and I did not shot thinking is so far how far do you shot ? 50 60 is to much o is a good range.? I am using prairie storm federal premium 12 gauge 3" 1350fps 15/8 ounces shot 4 thanks to everyone . and I get just one rooster provably about 30 yards.

30-40yds is a good shot, 50-60 is very marginal at best in my opinion.

I shoot prairie storm three inch 5 shot, out of a Browning Maxus with a 26 inch barrel with a modified choke. I went to out to a bird preserve and shot one pheasant and two chukar at fifty yards. I paid for the birds so figured why not shoot. I'm not the best shot, but have shot my gun enough to know how it shoots at that range.

It just depends how comfortable you are with your gun, prairie storm is designed for longer shots. Remember its like hunting any game if you don't feel you can make a clean kill don't shoot.

Ditto Jim. It depends as said you and your comfort zone. and the only way to figure that out is trying different chokes, different loads etc. My favorite area to take my first shot is 40-50 yards. Many times it is the second shot that dumps them stone dead. But it took playing around with loads and chokes. Now I just feel it is an extension of my body really. And gunning some field trials and training, you just don't shoot shorter then that, you will get the stink eye from the handlers LOL. So yes 50-60 yards is easily attainable. In my opion there is way more birds thrown away in the weeds because of the overly excited hunter shooting them off the end of the barrel with nothing left to eat.:thumbsup:

PS with my set up for example, I have 30" barrels, Improved mod in #1 and full in #2. I only shoot fed premium wing shock pheasants forever loads. And nothing but 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz 1,500 fps. All the gunners in our club pretty much use that load. It works very well at them ranges. And they kill. Good luck finding your sweet spot and set up. Have fun with it. I would buy a bunch of birds to put out and shoot a bunch of different loads and chokes on paper first.
:cheers:

I would say the average person lacks the skill to hit anything much over 40 yards and anchor it and even 40 yards will be a too much for some. I think each individual's skill level should dictate whether they take shots over 40 yards

More than just hitting it is the ability to anchor a bird at that distance enough to keep it put and not run off and die somewhere unrecoverable. Remember these aren't clay targets that count as a kill even if we crack one in half. If those marginal hits are on Pheasants, they run off and now you have a problem. At 50+ yards your pattern is starting to become very sparse. Anything going away, whether straight away or quartering at that distance is almost a sure bet that you will have a cripple on your hands. At the very least, if you think you need to take long shots then use the appropriate shot size (at least #4's) and load size that have a chance to get the job done.

Last edited:
Everyone will have opinions. step off 40 yards and set your paper up. 40 yards when you look at it in a real right in front of you situation is not far at all. We welcome anyone to come to our clubs any time to see for yourself how effective you can be with out the wounded birds running off. Also there is some very informative folks, gun captains etc to show and teach anyone. Plus its fun.:thumbsup: Often I feel people misjudge what true distances are.

Last edited:
Everyone will have opinions. step off 40 yards and set your paper up. 40 yards when you look at it in a real right in front of you situation is not far at all. We welcome anyone to come to our clubs any time to see for yourself how effective you can be with out the wounded birds running off. Also there is some very informative folks, gun captains etc to show and teach anyone. Plus its fun.:thumbsup: Often I feel people misjudge what true distances are.

Ken, 40 yards in the hands of a good shot probably not an issue, but the OP is was talking about 50-60 yard distances and IMO unless your dealing with shot that exposes the head and chest you are asking for the golden BB. Not something even accomplished shooters should attempt too often.

Today I was in Washington county I saw 3 rooster and 3 hens, the rooster far away like 50 60 yards and I did not shot thinking is so far how far do you shot ? 50 60 is to much o is a good range.? I am using prairie storm federal premium 12 gauge 3" 1350fps 15/8 ounces shot 4 thanks to everyone . and I get just one rooster provably about 30 yards.

50 to 60 yard kills on a pheasant is quite a feat, not saying it is not possible, there are a number of hunters who can make that shot but they also have quite a bit of practice at those ranges under their belt. Not many weekend warriors can make that shot. What I would do is take a paper cut out of a pheasant and put it out at 60 yards. Pick your choke and load and take a shot. Now go count the number of pellets in the cut out. Take into account that if the bird had been flying and you where a little in front or behind the bird, how many pellets do you think would have hit it. There are a little over 200 pellets in 1 5/8 oz of number 4 and at the range the pattern is opening up quite a bit

These days I shoot a semi out with a Improved Cylinder choke. First two shells are number 6 with the third being a number 5. I want as many pellets as I can get to throw at them. I have put down plenty of pheasant at the 40 to 45 range with I/C if they are further than that I just pass on the shot, not worth the risk of crippling a bird and not being able to find it.

Agree with Birdshooter, way too many chances to cripple a bird 50+ yards out and have seen it myself personally. Not worth it unless maybe it is the only bird you have seen all day.

The hotel/ lodge I stayed at had an 8ga with at least 34" barrels hanging over the mantle, I bet you could take a few birds at 60yds with that bad boy.

Most birds are shot at about 25-35 yards; but just about everyone has made a 50-60 yd. shot at one time or another. Chances of knocking down that bird are very slim; chances are you'll hit it with 1 pellet and it flies off to get sick and die. Most hunters are turned off by that reality and don't take those shots after a year or two in the field. If the bird is going to get away, that is OK, it gets away. wasn't his day to die - the "Zen" of this sport, really.
Have fun, be safe, be a sportsman.

Thunderstick

That Prairie Storm raises hell. With as few shots as I get on pheasants every year, it's worth the extra for it.

If you train here and you shoot birds at 25 yards your done gunning LOL. Trust me, it is not difficult at all. Its called patience. Put the bead on the place where the corn goes in ,not out, and shoot the bird. If you use a good load and proper choke, you will have no problem shooting birds at 50 yards routinely, and dead, dead, dead. I personally guarantee it. If you use crap loads forget it.

I would say we all shoot birds at ranges further than we think. Out on the open prairie it is very difficult to judge distance. What may look like a 40 yd. shot ends up being 60 or more. A number of years ago I was blocking for my hunting party when a rooster came sailing by low to the ground, I wasn't going to shoot due to the distance but decided to touch one off. That rooster dropped deader than a doornail. I stepped it off and it was approx. 70 yds. I was using a 16 ga. choked IC with 1 1/8 oz. loads at 1,295 fps. Smart shot? No! Lucky shot? Yes!

50-60 yards is too far in my opinion. If you do drop it and its not dead the bird will have a bigger head start on the dogs when it starts running. I'd rather watch the bird and see if he lands where I can hunt him again. Pheasants don't have great stamina when it comes to flying and are much easier to get close to after they have already flushed. 40-50 yards and I'd say go for it!

thanks for your advise

thanks to all of you for your advise, and take the time to give the advice. :thumbsup:

distance

I think there has been some really scary advice given on this thread, the wounding/ loss ratio skyrockets past 45 yds and at 50 yds it approaches 40%. I would have to ask why would you want to do that, one, at those extreme ranges you have pattern problems, energy problems and the time it takes for the dogs to get there to make the retrieve, that's another problem, just makes me shake my head at these thoughts. I would also question why your hunting practices are so poor that you think you need to do that

cheers

There are a ton of variables to think about when taking a long shot. I personally try to keep my shots under 40 yards. However, I usually shoot cheap target loads and a 20 gauge. If you have a good dog it should be no problem recovering wounded birds. That being said shoot if you know your dogs capabilities. If the lead ain't flying nothing is dying!

I only shoot at the birds that I know that I have a reasonable chance of hitting. No sense in wasting $hells.

As for Prairie Storm, my buddy and I were out pheasant hunting last season. He had bought a new box of PS - not sure of the exact load, but most likely the standard off the shelf Prairie Storm 2-3/4" #5. A rooster flushed, and my buddy hit is hard at ~35 -40 yards. From my vantage point, I saw pink mist, feathers and a carcass. It seemed to be raining feathers for 30 seconds. My dog Dakota, went to retrieve the carcass and just stood over the bird, refusing to retrieve. We went over to investigate and the bird was really ripped up.

When we were in Montana earlier this year, he was shooting the same batch of Prairie Storm and shot a sharptail grouse, at~40 yards. The back of the sharptail grouse was essentially gone. We now jokingly refer to Prairie Storm as Prairie Skinner.

:cheers:

Back