Aberdeen area or Mobridge area? Opinions welcomed

TheWanderer

Finalizing plans for our trip to SD this year. There will be 3 of us coming out for the first time ever with my young lab for a combination of pheasant and waterfowl (targeting ducks) hunting.

I'm trying to decide on one of these two areas based on the following criteria:
1. Pheasant densities
2. Likelihood of open water for ducks
3. Availability of public land

If it were you taking this trip where would you go?

I'm asking because I orginally planned on going to the Aberdeen area, but with the pheasant forecast and the time of year, the combination of better pheasant densities and the only open water possibly being Oahe may push us to Mobridge (we could take a boat for Oahe). However Aberdeen area still trumps all others with public opportunities.

really depends on your timing. i have hunted both parts for pheasants and the west is best. lots of ducks and potholes over by aberdeen and of course the river in the west.

If you are the same guy that posted this on the duck hunters forum, be advised waterfowl hunting for non-residents is on a lottery draw and has already been drawn for this year. You have to apply by June I think for the Fall season-you can look all that up on the SD G&P web-page.

License is drawn and in hand. Just trying to finalize our plans and get as much info as possible since it's our first time out.

good for you. congrats on being drawn. me too. thats 5 out of 7 for us so we feel pretty good. best of luck out there, water isn't a problem, its everywhere.

How are the roads holding up in the gettysburg/aberdeen area. Will I have problems with only 2 wheel drive under present conditions?

Back