A recap of this past season..

cyclonenation10

Was fortunate enough to make it out hunting for at-least a quick hunt all but 15 days this past season in Iowa. Some of these were very quick "golden hour" hunts, but I had a few weeks of PTO, hunted every weekend, and didn't miss a Holiday. Very lucky to have a flexible work schedule.

Of the hunts I was on (this includes several days with multiple people, but most often it was myself, my dad, and a friend), we bagged 324 wild roosters. 25 of those were on public, the rest private. 90% of these would have been flushed and/or retrieved by one of my two golden retrievers. Was able to get a couple of young kids there first roosters during youth season, and a handful of other adults their first roosters ever or in several years. That part is quite rewarding.

Shot birds in 17 different counties in the state. I have now shot a rooster on public land in 68 different counties in Iowa over the past 4 seasons, and hope to reach all 99 in the next 5-6 years. I've virtually hunted everything within 2 hours of me, so making day trips to try and knock-off new counties has become quite a challenge.

I put ~10,000 miles on my truck this hunting season.

My overall observations were..
-Bird numbers seemed to be lower than the past few years, but still strong.
-Exponentially more hunting pressure both public and private. If this trend continues, I think it will become even harder than it is already to gain permission on private lands.
-Where there is good habitat, the birds thrive virtually everywhere in the state. Best hunting still north of HWY 20 and West of I-35.
- Overall, a very good season, both the dogs and I are ready for a break.IMG_5865.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20231126_161825.jpeg
    Resized_20231126_161825.jpeg
    778.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3346.jpeg
    IMG_3346.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Some more photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5865.jpeg
    IMG_5865.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • JCA01496.jpeg
    JCA01496.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 11
  • JCA01489.jpeg
    JCA01489.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 11
  • JCA01472.jpeg
    JCA01472.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 12
  • JCA01463.jpeg
    JCA01463.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3197.jpeg
    IMG_3197.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3180.jpeg
    IMG_3180.jpeg
    873.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3172.jpeg
    IMG_3172.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Good lord. 10,000 miles just for hunting season. 🫣

I don't even put that many miles on my truck in an entire year.

I hunt out of a Toyota Sienna early, for sharpies and huns, then switch to my Silverado. I make about 8 trips, one or two less than before since I’m retired, so I just stay for 7-9 days, depending. My trips average about 1300 miles, so I’m 10k+ per season. Overall I put on about 30k per year. I make many trips to SD/ND in the spring and summer as well.

I hunt out of a Toyota Sienna early, for sharpies and huns, then switch to my Silverado. I make about 8 trips, one or two less than before since I’m retired, so I just stay for 7-9 days, depending. My trips average about 1300 miles, so I’m 10k+ per season. Overall I put on about 30k per year. I make many trips to SD/ND in the spring and summer as well.
Without my biggest expense hunting is fuel and vehicle wear and tear. I would easily get several more years out of my truck(s) if I took hunting out of the equation!

I took the 2nd seat out of my Sienna, and have the 3rd seat flush with the floor…4 crates sit atop a 4’ x 8’ piece of plywood…easy access for dog loading, gear, etc. poor clearance, but other than that, best rig I’ve had. I’ve put 178k on it in 6 years…feels like new! Shocks and struts next week. 🍻👍 96k on my Silverado, which will be 8 years old in April…love my Ainley drawer system.

The worst part is I never even left the state!
I would say that is the BEST part about it! Nice work, that is a lot of hunting and a lot of birds. Here is a guy that can wear-out some boots! I just couldn't deal with eating that many. Maybe 4-5 years ago I keep track of birds shot while I was hunting, now I just keep track of my own...and might not even get all those tallied. I try put a tailfeather in the jar for each one I clean. I hunted just 20-22 days, it was a bit off with family stuff going on this year. I pretty much quit the party hunting (Iowa rule), the last time my buddy went out, I did even bring a gun on the last parcel we hunted, trying to get him some birds...and it didn't happen. I was 9 short of last season, most of that was due to fewer days out and shorter days. Last season only one outing I took home just 2 and took limits the other outings. This year I got shutout one rainy day, got just 1 once and 2 twice. My buddy opted to carry a double barrel this season, his bird numbers were lower this year...I think (hope) he got that out of his system! I only hunted private land and I put on a few hundred miles for these birds. I am lucky to have the access that I do. I leave the public ground to those that don't have the access to private, city kids need somewhere to hunt.
2023-2024 tailfeathers.jpg

I like that idea.
I've been doing this my whole hunting career. When they get overwhelming I donate to flyshops or my buddies who tie.

I hunt out of a Toyota Sienna early, for sharpies and huns, then switch to my Silverado. I make about 8 trips, one or two less than before since I’m retired, so I just stay for 7-9 days, depending. My trips average about 1300 miles, so I’m 10k+ per season. Overall I put on about 30k per year. I make many trips to SD/ND in the spring and summer as well
We had an awd sienna and loved it, this was when my son was playing travel hockey and baseball could pack alot of people and gear in that vehicle and being awd was just and added bonus. Miss that vehicle. Heck just my two trips to SD is roughly 6k miles and probably a couple thousand in michigan chasing grouse.

Was fortunate enough to make it out hunting for at-least a quick hunt all but 15 days this past season in Iowa. Some of these were very quick "golden hour" hunts, but I had a few weeks of PTO, hunted every weekend, and didn't miss a Holiday. Very lucky to have a flexible work schedule.

Of the hunts I was on (this includes several days with multiple people, but most often it was myself, my dad, and a friend), we bagged 324 wild roosters. 25 of those were on public, the rest private. 90% of these would have been flushed and/or retrieved by one of my two golden retrievers. Was able to get a couple of young kids there first roosters during youth season, and a handful of other adults their first roosters ever or in several years. That part is quite rewarding.

Shot birds in 17 different counties in the state. I have now shot a rooster on public land in 68 different counties in Iowa over the past 4 seasons, and hope to reach all 99 in the next 5-6 years. I've virtually hunted everything within 2 hours of me, so making day trips to try and knock-off new counties has become quite a challenge.

I put ~10,000 miles on my truck this hunting season.

My overall observations were..
-Bird numbers seemed to be lower than the past few years, but still strong.
-Exponentially more hunting pressure both public and private. If this trend continues, I think it will become even harder than it is already to gain permission on private lands.
-Where there is good habitat, the birds thrive virtually everywhere in the state. Best hunting still north of HWY 20 and West of I-35.
- Overall, a very good season, both the dogs and I are ready for a break.View attachment 7312
I'm calling bs. Nobody shoots 300 roosters.

You are correct, would not be possible with the ~75 days in the Iowa season and a bag limit of 3 per day. The most any one person could legally shoot in a season would be about ~225.

I had ~150 myself. A handful of those would have been "shared birds", so hard to say exactly.
You are living in a fantasy world.

I took the 2nd seat out of my Sienna, and have the 3rd seat flush with the floor…4 crates sit atop a 4’ x 8’ piece of plywood…easy access for dog loading, gear, etc. poor clearance, but other than that, best rig I’ve had. I’ve put 178k on it in 6 years…feels like new! Shocks and struts next week. 🍻👍 96k on my Silverado, which will be 8 years old in April…love my Ainley drawer system.
BB, you need to redneck-up the soccer van...a lift kit and mudders on the corners...then you have a bird hunter machine!

You are living in a fantasy world.
It’s about days afield…and hunting in productive areas…and, in SD, where party hunting is legal, #’s can add up pretty quickly…most years, across the whole SD season, I suspect I average 3.75, 4, 4.5, per day; most years I’m over 30 days…this year, I’ll probably be in the middle or high 20’s, and, have done more solo hunting or small groups, so #’s are lower than other years in the past 5, 10 years. It‘s rare when I enter a piece of cover and don’t get a bird…it does happen, but not too often. I always have the goal of at least getting a bird or two for the pair, or small group of us...usually happens, not always. I’ve done many short days this year..an hour or two after I arrive or before I depart…mostly one or two bird outings…but 6,7,8 bird days offset those lower days. Had a group of 5 adults and 2 teenagers a month ago…not serious hunters, a few of us killed a disproportionate share. I’ve hunted most of these spots for decades, at least 5 years in all cases…helps knowing what the birds often do.

Last edited:
When the habitat is there, the birds can flourish. Be there, knock on doors and enjoy the bounty. I have met some of the best land owners over the years and could have filled two hunting journals. Family, friends and faith, I have had a good run. 🙏 And good dogs

Back