A good day quail hunting

fsentkilr

It's nice to see the birds coming back. I moved 7 coveys in three hours. My 3 year old Gordons Miss Kitty and Festus pointed and retrieved all 8. I didn't take any field pics because I was hunting by myself and my dogs give me dirty looks if a bird they have pointed flies away while I'm messing with my camera.

picture.php

Now I understand the beauty of wild birds on the tailgate. I fully understand the gorgeous pics that can be taken of the all too beautiful Gordon Setter! However, the smile on your daughter's face stole the show on that pic!!! Sounds like a premo day!!!

If my dogs were finished I wouldn't worry about it so much. The first 2 seasons it was hard to get them in birds. Kit doesn't always back and will try and steal Festus point. Once I get them trained I will get some pictures. Maybe I will get some when I'm pheasant hunting this weekend when I have a friend and my wife for backup. Last time I was pheasant hunting Kit pointed a rooster. My friend went in and flushed it and his safety was froze on, the bird flew off cackling. She gave him a look that would kill. ( so did I)

Last edited:
I noticed my Gordon's were less forgiving than my English Setters. Does that explain why I only have English Setters now, don't know! Having a Gordon along is kind of like taking the wife:) Criticism is coming!

Nice work! I was down in your neck of the woods today and got into birds everywhere I hunted. Gonna hate to see the season come to an end.

Nice work! I was down in your neck of the woods today and got into birds everywhere I hunted. Gonna hate to see the season come to an end.

Yeah there are more birds than we have had since the 2007 flood. We had 25 inches of rain in 2 days and it almost wiped them out. The first place I hunted, I move 4 coveys in about a half mile. It kind of reminded me of my high school days. I was chasing English pointers then instead of Gordons. I had 3 coveys pointed I didn't even get a shot off on the rise. They were in Hedge rows and went out the other side. I also had a covey here where I live that did the same thing only a plum thicket.

Yeah there are more birds than we have had since the 2007 flood. We had 25 inches of rain in 2 days and it almost wiped them out. The first place I hunted, I move 4 coveys in about a half mile. It kind of reminded me of my high school days. I was chasing English pointers then instead of Gordons. I had 3 coveys pointed I didn't even get a shot off on the rise. They were in Hedge rows and went out the other side. I also had a covey here where I live that did the same thing only a plum thicket.[/QUOT

Hedgerows and plum thickets were the story of my life today and most days. I hunt alone most of the time because all my hunting friends around me watefowl hunt and I just don't know many quail hunters. Quail hunting with 2 guys is much easier but it is also nice to be just you and the dogs. Don't have to be nearly as embarrassed when a dog messes up lol.

My Gordons are Springset.

I had a 1/2 Springset Gordon back in the mid 80's. She was a special dog to me. In the field and with my young kids at the time.

Gordons may well be the prettiest bird dog there is. May have to get a black setter again some day to run with the white ones.

So as the outdoor writer for the Wichita Eagle, is he supposed to write about a great hunt at an undisclosed location in Kansas?

Last edited:
This same article was posted by quail forever on Facebook courtesy I think of kdwp.

What would be wrong with writing about a great hunt at an undisclosed location? We do it on here all the time and everyone still enjoys the pics and stories.

Wow! I have never gotten close to a limit of quail. Way to go. Your Gordons look great and obviously are great.

Husker it is a great area to hunt. I grew up in Ulysses and we often times headed over to Kinsley to hunt so I would not really call it a secret. It is a good place and i hope people get out and enjoy Sw Kansas as we need the income out there. A hunter from Wichita going to hunt there is no different than a Texan is, in most peoples eyes they see an economic boost for their home town.

I know it's no secret -- however with the limited WIHA opportunities in certain areas when there is press about a certain area it will draw in far more people than would traditionally head to the area and it will impact the quality of hunting for the normal guy and can be detrimental

Theres zero question about that. I've watched it happen to the Pratt Sandhills, Texas Lake, and now I'm 1000% certain that initially where he mentioned will receive way more pressure next year. I wouldnt be surprised if theres an increase in pickup traffic this coming weekend and next.

He never tells the whole story, thats what is so agitating. Yes quail have rebounded, but the ground he is on is not comparing apples to apples for the rest of the area. He doesnt mention the limited pressure it receives or how it's managed for birds. Id hate to see what little rebound we have get pounded down into oblivion due to extra artificial pressure it doesnt need.

Now a few years ago when you could about throw a dart at the state map and drive there and have a good hunt, now thats a different story. Thats simply not the case now and he should know that. Hes been around the game long enough to know better than play the naive card on this one.

From what I know of the guy he doesnt hunt on WIHA or public ground for the most part so I'd extend the same invitation to him I did to brownback, lloyd fox and jennison - come hunt with a normal hunter for a day and maybe you will look at things a little differently. He was pretty specific in his article and there was no need for it in todays information age.

Let people find out the specific area on their own - thats why they call it hunting. pearce is certainly no Steven Rinella.

Just so you know I hold Mike in very high regards for what he does for wildlife and those who cherish it.

No way to say this Husker but you come off as arrogant. You belittle me on bowsite like I have never managed land before, just so you know I own/manage over 2000 acres of hunting/farm and cattle ground. I take a lot of people hunting who would otherwise not go hunting as much. It gives me pride and joy to watch anyone from the kid next door to the guy who has wall hangers score game on my ranches resident or non resident. It is about the hunt and the friendship that keeps me grounded.

I ask you do you manage property take kids and others hunting if you do not maybe best just to keep your comments to yourself.

For the record I rarely hunt my own ground as I try and save it for friends I like the hard hunts on WIHA and Reservoirs it is also why I know of such good places as Kinsley all that WIHA from Lewis to Kinsley North or South has great numbers of birds and they always have especially the ones around the feed lots.

Regards,
Matte

Back