A few observations from South Dakota

carptom1

Sitting here watching MNF after spending a few days hunting in the cold and snow of South Dakota. Thought I would share a few observations of my annual December trip.

# 1 The bird numbers are certainly down in the area I hunt. Typically we would see at least one flush in the 2-300 range. The largest I saw was a 75 bird flush from a tree belt. I did see several hundred in an area we no longer can hunt. He had grain piles out and the birds and deer were thick in his trees. We worked hard for our birds and only limited on one day out of three. We had a real tough day on Saturday in 5 degree weather and a stiff wind. Six of us ended up with 8 birds in some real tough conditions. We should have had more but it is tough to shoot bundled up like that. We averaged like 2.3 birds per guy.

#2 I do not like hunting in the cold and snow like I used to. Snowed on all three days, the ends of fields were drifted in bad. I am too fat to walk cattails that are not yet frozen. One tree belt had 3 + foot drifts already. Farmer said he was a few inches from shutting it down as his food plots were starting to fill up with snow. He has a group of 5 coming in this weekend and based on the weather they will have a tough go. Even knowing what I know I would go again in a minute.

#3 I have to get in better shape as I have let myself go a bit. It affects my shooting and my ability to hunt like I would like. Quit talking and get busy.

All and all a great trip. Watching Patrick's (PTM) old lab sniff that wounded rooster out was pretty cool. She was determined she had it pegged deep in that snow and finally was rewarded. I love watching Labs in the cattails and snow. It is a shame I don't get to go more often. Seems they hat a stride about the middle of the second day and then it is over too soon. Sunday I had an epic day. Walked the edge of some waist high cattails and watched my Lab put up 10 or so birds including several roosters. I managed a limit in fairly short order of about 45 minutes or so. Nice to walk the edge while he did the work. Also finished with several nice retrieves. Again the company was good, the food was decent and the Super 8 was, well a super 8. Thanks to Patrick for a few of the pictures I am sharing. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

PS. My dog did catch a hen and was wanting to kill her real bad. I was able to coax her away from him and release her as he only had the tail feathers. I was grateful as I was going to hate turning him in to the local Conservation Officer.

A few pics

Last edited:
Nice report, I'm heading out the 26th. What region of the state were you hunting, curious about snow depth. I'll be in north central.

Good report, Tom. Max and I had a great time, as usual, in spite of the weather. Most of the time was spent "hunting" vs shooting which I enjoy.

Snow depth: 3-6" with more coming this week. Drifts on the edge of the fields make for tough going...

Buddy

Sure was fun to watch your Dog systematically and methodically put those birds out of the slough, saw you throw that hen in the air and watched it fly away. I love the tough hunts like that, we earned some birds for sure. I have some more pics but my computer is acting up. Me, Lilah and Molly had an awesome time and we finally got to meet Jim, super great guy. After watching Tom and his dog I am going to try and slow down a bit, they always proved there were more birds in there. Good group and thanks again for the trip, watching my old dog put that rooster up walking to the road from the trees when it was just you and I made the trip for me. A word for those heading out to SD bring extra boots, I fell through the ice a couple times, it was damn cold.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Tom, wish I could've been there buddy.

Robert - not sure your CA blood could have endured this hunt! This was the coldest outing I think I have ever experienced. Very windy - up to 25 mph with temps in the low single numbers.

Last day was sunny, 15 but still windy, but we managed a limit by 3PM.

Biggest issue: keeping your hands warm. I did have battery/warmed gloves which helped a great deal.

Come join the fun next winter!!

You underestimate us Californian's Jon, it gets cold here in some places. -5 with sustained 20mph winds chasing fairy tale chukar.

It was like 60 the whole time I was in SD in December last time.:cheers:

Thanks for the report Tom, wish I could've been there buddy.

We needed a couple young skinny guys in those cattails. The were not quite frozen yet and were pretty tough to get through. But as always there were some birds in there. Maybe next year.

Threads like this make me wish I was out there. You have some good photos too Tom. Thank you for posting them.:thumbsup:

Glad to hear you boys managed acouple of birds and no one froze to death. Wish i could have made it and walked those cattails....really fun group to hunt with. Hopefully next time. Bird numbers are up here and have actually managed to knock down a few. Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

So Dak

Tom, thanks for posting the pictures, brought back memories!
It was a great trip, cold was tough, my hands were starting to hurt within 30 minutes of being out in the wind... I had base layer , and under armour liners... Mittens on left hand would have been better, but still have issues with right hand, and trigger/safety sensitivity..
Thank you all for the great conversations, safety, and great times.... really missed having my PUP... Great watching all the great dog work.... Great group to hunt with.... Merry Christmas to all, and Patrick enjoy the new baby! sincerely, JIM

Jim,

You are welcome to hunt with me anytime. I enjoyed your company very much. I will second on the hands. I had some good lightweight pack boots so my feet were toasty. I am not a big wearer of gloves to hunt, but mine were freezing even with some on. My poor dog had a 1/2" of ice on him by the end of the day but those Labs are pretty tough.

Thanks for sharing!! Looks like a real good time and memories were made!!:thumbsup:

Great photos!I wish I could afford a South Dakota trip.I went out in Montana a few days ago. Hunted in extreme cold-15. Got some birds, but had to work for them. Hard to shoot all bundled up, with gloves.

Great post and pictures Tom. I'm getting my hunting fix this season vicariously through all of your exploits while I recuperate from a broken leg suffered 10/17. Our normal group did a Winner trip in late October. It would have been the first SoDak trip for my younger lab. Keep those stories and pictures coming.
Tom

Great post and pictures Tom. I'm getting my hunting fix this season vicariously through all of your exploits while I recuperate from a broken leg suffered 10/17. Our normal group did a Winner trip in late October. It would have been the first SoDak trip for my younger lab. Keep those stories and pictures coming.
Tom

Man brother what a bummer. A few years ago I blew my knee out getting out of the truck on the second field on a 5 day trip. Made it 2 more days before I couldn't take it anymore. That 10 hr truck ride home was a lot of fun. Hope you heal well.

Back