4, 5, or 6 shot for you early season pheasant hunters? And what choke are you shooting?

6 shot and 5 later in the year. If I’m somewhere that I have to shoot non toxic I shoot 3 inch number 3’s. That knocks there you know what in the dirt. Never seen a cripple with it.

I'm usually hunting with a 20 or 28 gauge with skeet and improved cylinder for chokes. I hunt GSP's and I've killed 100's of pheasants with 3/4 to 1 ounce 7.5's over the years but these are birds typically rising in front of a pointing dog and shots are very close. If you were running flushers or blocking I would consider a larger load and if that's the case it's really hard to beat five shot.

It's a sad day when now a cheap box of shells is $12. I remember when.......... Times have certainly changed and lately it seems like time is at warp speed.
shot and 5 later in the year. If I’m somewhere that I have to shoot non toxic I shoot 3 inch number 3’s. That knocks there you know what in the dirt. Never seen a cripple with it.
I would bet lunch, and I'm not much of a betting man, some of those birds you "missed" were leaving with shot in them. Don't know how you can go without losing a cripple now and then. I hate when it happens but it happens regardless of the load or shot you use. They are tough tough birds.

Last edited:
It's a sad day when now a cheap box of shells is $12. I remember when.......... Times have certainly changed and lately it seems like time is at warp speed.

I would bet lunch, and I'm not much of a betting man, some of those birds you "missed" were leaving with shot in them. Don't know how you can go without losing a cripple now and then. I hate when it happens but it happens regardless of the load or shot you use. They are tough tough birds.
One thing about a full choke.Clean misses.I like that. If I miss, I want to completely miss.

Oh no doubt. But those number 3 steels in 3 inch are probably the best all round shell you can shoot. I shoot them on mallards and canada geese over decoys. If I pull up with those on a phez 9.5 times outa 10 they are DRT. I also don’t take questionable shots either so that helps.

You must've only shot about 3 phez with it since EVERY!! pheasant hunter gets some crips.🤡
Don’t take questionable shots period. I shoot mallards and canada geese with it over decoys. Shoot an improved cylinder with it. They pattern very well. When I shoot mallards up close like in timber I like #6 steel through a modified choke. Dense patterns and head/neck shots within 35 yards. The guys I hunt with shoot 20’s on all ducks and geese.

If you wanna lesson on killing birds meet me and the boys on the colorado eastern slope this winter and they can put on a clinic for you with 20 guages shooting late season mallards and canada geese. Pheasants aren’t that tough. What makes them tough are guys taking shots to far away, not being able to judge distance, improper lead, and never ever patterning their guns in the off season with various shot sizes through diff choke tubes. They have small bone structure, thin skin and no heavy feathers like waterfowl do.

Out in a field blind shooting decoying birds is easy compared to walking 12 plus miles in thick grass and executing a kill shot at a wily rooster.
Physical exertion plays a major role in gun mount and shot completion let alone uneven balance and the surprise flush. Hardest part of a great goose shoot is getting permission on a hot field. Any load can kill if your close enough.

4, 5, or 6 shot through an IC or Mod choke will get the job done. Just remember, the size shot or choke in your gun doesn't matter if you don't do your job and center up your target. More shot, more velocity or choke constriction won't help if you're a poor shot. ;)

I have been a believer in #6 most of the season with maybe switching to #5 late season. Mostly through Mod-Full fixed chokes in the SxS guns. All are 1oz or 1 1/8oz loads.

If you wanna lesson on killing birds meet me and the boys on the colorado eastern slope this winter and they can put on a clinic for you with 20 guages shooting late season mallards and canada geese. Pheasants aren’t that tough.
You gotta be a awesome shot to be offering lessons, can't help noticing all your talk is about ducks/geese that mostly fall on the ground & stay wear they fell. I still say you're "never seen a cripple" with your 3 inch no tox shells is bull unless you only shot a few phez with it. Everyone gets cripples even with 3"ers which you don't need for phez. But guys like you use big shells & drive big trucks.

Pheasants aren’t that tough. What makes them tough are guys taking shots to far away, not being able to judge distance, improper lead, and never ever patterning their guns in the off season with various shot sizes through diff choke tubes.
I'd disagree on that. I've absolutely hammered pheasants within 20 yards, puff of feathers flying, appear to drop stone dead and nowhere to be found. Without the dog, I'd have lost numerous birds that I would have told you I turned to swiss cheese.

I’ve had the opportunity to hunt pheasants 30-40+ days annually in SD mainly, ND somewhat, and MN as well, for the past 30 years…I’ve had good hunting. Been around thousands of birds shot between me and my hunting partners, trust me, pheasants are tough birds. Some presentations lend themselves to greater lethality, many do not…I’m on day 10 currently hunting sharptails and huns, and there’s no absolutes regarding their killability, despite their smaller size. Just my point of view…

Am I wrong? Just asking. If you don't get a head, neck or heart shot... You have a wounded bird that's gonna get away without a dog, and sometimes even with a dog. This is why I shoot #6 with IC. If you don't get one of the three shots I just mentioned, you had better pulverize both legs and break at least one wing. Otherwise they are running to the next section or burring themselves where you will never find them, and need a better than average dog to find them under two feet of matted cattails. I had two last year that I hammered hard at close range. It took my 6 month old pup to stand on top of 2 feet of matted cattail, with her continually biting at the pile until I dug down under and pulled them out. Very excited about taking this dog back and watch her skills develop even more. She had 20 days after last pheasant season to practice on woodcock. This is her working a woodcock at 8 months of age. I will admit, I have to learn how to release a pointing dog. Never had one before. But that best thing about her is I don't have to give her any verbal commands during the hunt. One of the most important things about pheasant hunting is hunting silently. Hope the link below works.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/8OsoQ6ase9c/edit

Last edited:
Hardest part of a great goose shoot is getting permission on a hot field.
Lol that aint hard here. In fact, its very easy. Geese are a nuisance and most landowners I know want them dead. The problem is what to do with them after you shoot them...

We turned 32 into slim jims/snack sticks on one occasion. I don't hunt them anymore. They were very good. Consistency was a little too fine but taste was good. The only other suggestion is to fill a low spot in your field. (joke) please don't have a heart attack

It isn't that I don't think you can properly fold up a rooster beyond that range, because obviously you can. I think there are a fair number of hunters here that are after highly pressured public land birds and if they didn't take long shots they would rarely shoot their gun. That is not the situation I find myself in when I'm hunting though.
Oh yeah public land is long shots.

Back