.22 blanks

clumberguy

so After lots of loud noise (pots and pans clapping ect) I think it is time to introduce my dog to blanks my question is quite simple all I own for .22 is a walther P22 its a semi auto can I put 22 blanks through it? I always thought blanks were shorter wasnt sure how they would feed in the magazine. Thaks!

The ones I use are real short. I use a blank pistol, the race starters use. They are cheap and work well. With that pup here is a simple method to get it gun broke. Take it for a run. When it is out in front a fair distance. shot a blank behind your back. put the pistol back into your back pocket. The dog will most likely come running back to you, for comfort and reassurance. VERY IMPORTANT, Do Nothing and Say Nothing. Just keep walking like nothing happened. The pup will take off and after a bit shoot it again. Exactly as before do and say nothing. 3 times in one outing is the limit and keep doing it on each outing until the dog just keeps running and don't even look back. You then have a dog that will not be gun-shy if treated properly.......Bob

thanks bob! I did a bit of reaserch and realise I will need to buy a starter pistol and thanks for the tip on training her I had seen you give this advise to another fella on the forum and everyone seemed to agree so I will give it a try

clumberguy, your Walther will work just fine. Just use regular .22 shells instead of blanks. I have a .22 revolver that I use and I fire .22 LR's in it. I just either fire the gun into the ground or at a tree. Just make sure you are shooting it in a safe direction. Obviously blanks would be safer but if you are careful regular .22's will work. Saves buying a blank pistol you may only use a few times.

yeah I but live in Mass where the gun laws are tighter then spandex not worth the risk they have starter pistols as cheap as 25 bucks no worries

I was told years ago that a shotgun noise like a .410 is not as harsh to a dogs hearing like a .22 it's more of a boom instead of a crack?
That is what i was told i know they don't make .410 starter pistols. But once the dogs gets to find the birds and the thrill of watching them fly after that i introduce the gun. And i will have a friend shoot the .410 away from us and with a good bird dog the noise never seems to bother them. I do know what it's like to have a gun shy dog and it's always a worry when you first introduce the gun. Good luck training I just thought with your guns laws maybe it would be easier to avoid a pistol and use a shotgun. I do like your dog pic's

yeah i have a 410 unfortunatly I dont think I can use that on WMA across the road from the house if its not some type of hunting season season. The laws say I can train year round with 22 blanks so to avoid any issues I will do that . I also realized I can say I am hunting crows or red squarils and shoot all day. howeve I think I can load a single blank into the semi auto at a time pain in the a** but no big deal if I decied I am to frugal to spend 50 bucks on a blank gun... again guys thanks for all your help I really apeciate it!

Back