2023 Season

Went out to Lac on Monday before the snow storm. Flushed 9 hens and 2 roosters in 2 hours. All the hens held tight and roosters were flushing 70-80 yards out. No shot but it was a fun cold hunt.

I hunted a couple spots on Friday and folded up a couple of dumb ones. There is a lot of water where I hunt and the ditches are full. One of them died right in the ditch and the dog willingly went for a swim. Finally some corn coming out. Stunning day out there.

Attachments

• 11-17-23 roosters.jpg
    11-17-23 roosters.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 13
I hunted a couple spots on Friday and folded up a couple of dumb ones. There is a lot of water where I hunt and the ditches are full. One of them died right in the ditch and the dog willingly went for a swim. Finally some corn coming out. Stunning day out there.
Wow I’m impressed. I don’t think I’ve seen any ditches full of overflow water in my hunting travels so far in Minnesota.

Wow I’m impressed. I don’t think I’ve seen any ditches full of overflow water in my hunting travels so far in Minnesota.
Ya they are deep too. You can see that bird on the right in my photo looks like a wet sock lol

A good hard freeze for a days would help that problem. Looks like it might be coming later this week.

Saturday a buddy wanted to go, but we didn't want to drive to BFE. We did a hunt just south of the cities. Lots of hunters out, we only flushed a hen. Last stop of the day we hit a private spot that hadn't been hunted. We saw 6 roosters, my buddy missed one and we managed to hit one, both of us firing at about the same time. As I've often seen at this spot, he was a nice old bird, just check out the beak on this guy, I've never seen anything like it! I bet he kept those young roosters in check. I didn't measure the tail feather yet, but I'm guessing around 22 inches.IMG_20231118_213713.jpg

A couple of good days. Quite a few actually.

Not sure I need to keep posting dead bird photos.

Trying to get some points and/or retrieve photos at this point. The dog looks at me sarcastically when I set my gun down or to one hand and whip out the phone. ;)

Don't think I will be out hunting in the post-holiday chaos. Chores are a call'n.

Quite a few people hunt Thanksgiving through that Saturday. I think quite a bit of private land also gets hit as families get together - so you never know if public land nearby gets a little "stocking".

I am finding birds scattered all over heck. Grass, cattails, near crops, far from crops, even in a few crops (on WMAs). Some are running and flushing wild ... especially if it is windy. I was not seeing many hens, but they seem to have reappeared as of late. I have not run into a single late hatch rooster this year which is a bit strange ... most years they pop up through out October and November.

Almost never see any birds out and about before 9 or near sunset. The only birds I am seeing are birds the dog is finding.

Almost never see any birds out and about before 9 or near sunset. The only birds I am seeing are birds the dog is finding.
Yeah I've not seen many birds while driving around in the country.

I've mainly been hunting crp and if there's a good plot I give it a buzz. I'd hunt more cattails but it's been so warm. I'm sure there's birds in there, but it's hard on the dog to do it for long periods of time when it's over 50 degrees. I have gotten 3 roosters in cattails this year by walking the edge and the dog picked up a strong scent, ran on and flushed him.

I'll give a report on the weekend chaos. I've done a Thanksgiving weekend hunt from Friday through Sunday the last few years and my usual haunts aren't normally too busy. But the hotel I stay in is booked solid save for one room so time will tell if it's families in town to see mom and dad at the farm or alot of hunters. It's not too often I get out just me and the dog (usually theres more of a crew) for 3 days but I'm looking forward to it.

Saturday a buddy wanted to go, but we didn't want to drive to BFE. We did a hunt just south of the cities. Lots of hunters out, we only flushed a hen. Last stop of the day we hit a private spot that hadn't been hunted. We saw 6 roosters, my buddy missed one and we managed to hit one, both of us firing at about the same time. As I've often seen at this spot, he was a nice old bird, just check out the beak on this guy, I've never seen anything like it! I bet he kept those young roosters in check. I didn't measure the tail feather yet, but I'm guessing around 22 inches.View attachment 6632
Where the spurs?!?

I went on Saturday for about 40 minutes and had to turn around, unload my gun, and walk back out at the first spot. Roosters are acting really dumb lately. Looking forward to Friday when the bag limit goes to 3.

Attachments

• 11-25-23 roosters.jpg
    11-25-23 roosters.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 9
Got back from 3 days hunting over the weekend and figured I'd give a report. Didn't see a ton of other hunters but they were out there, other than yesterday. I didn't see a soul yesterday, assuming the snow and wind out west kept people home.

I didn't bag a ton of birds but I sure saw a lot. All together, I saw probably close to 100 birds over the weekend. But man they are flighty. Every spot I hunted I saw birds, yesterday morning I kicked up close to 50 birds at one WMA. Should have bagged one but I forgot how to shoot apparently. As always was great to get out and I'm already itching to get back out there.

Attachments

• 20231125_104359.jpg
    20231125_104359.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20231125_122907.jpg
    20231125_122907.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
Nice report. Those birds have been chased for 6+ weeks now. I still like to see the grass open for a pointing dog to do their thing a bit longer. I will take a dusting of snow for tracking, but the deep stuff can wait a bit longer.

Here is a photo of my oldest Brittany (now mostly retired at almost 14 years old) ... we joke we should DNA test her to see if she has a little munsterlander in her gene pool.

1701100096076.png

I still like to see the grass open for a pointing dog to do their thing a bit longer. I will take a dusting of snow for tracking, but the deep stuff can wait a bit longer.
The birds hardly even held for a point too. Roosters anyway. The bird in the picture did hold tight enough for a point, flushing about 3 feet from me, and that's what caused him to meet his early demise.

The only other birds holding for points were hens. I kept telling myself whenever the dog would lock on point, that it was going to be a hen because no rooster is going to hold this long haha

Most roosters I saw flushed wild or came out of cattails in big groups while the dog did her thing.

I did have a big flush of 10 hens yesterday that all flushed within 5 yards of me or so. That was pretty fun to see. It's not often a big group flushes that close. If only they were roosters haha

Back