2023 Pheasant Hunting rookie here

bkelleycentral

Hello everyone,

I am Brandon. I live in south central Laramie County and I have decided I want to try pheasant hunting this year. Seeing as how I never do anything the simple way, I will be doing this on WIA land I have never walked, hunting a species I have never hunt, and without a dog. I have dogs, but not that kind. I also do not know anyone who hunts these birds around here (everyone I know goes to Springer).

So, anyone else hunting these WIAs this year? Anyone want a safe, adult, responsible rookie to walk a line with you? I have a lot of hunting exp, just not of the winged kind. I filled every tag for whitetail and bear I ever got in Georgia (where I am originally from) but I haven't hunted WY since I arrived here in 2013. I can and will be successful on my own, but things like this are better with a team. So, here is me, looking for a team. If you are nervous about a stranger with a gun, I get that. I would offer to go out once unarmed, heck who doesn't want a hunt photographer? What I want is to learn, the birds will come in time.

Yes I have a license (including pheasant stamp, conservation stamp, and I even threw in a duck and migratory bird for good measure); orange; a shotgun (Winchester SXP, 28", 3" chamber, running Steel # 2(I don't want to pollute other people's land), mod choke (full with steel shot), patterned at 30 and 40yd). I know the WIA I am targeting, have researched maps and TOPO (which is pretty doggone simple in Laramie County, ha ha I could probably skip that in the future).

What kind of dog do you have? I would take it along if it minds. You might be surprised! I have seen some mutt dogs do a more than acceptable job. I used to have a Boston bulldog that treed squirrels & raccoon & would retrieve doves.

What kind of dog do you have? I would take it along if it minds. You might be surprised! I have seen some mutt dogs do a more than acceptable job. I used to have a Boston bulldog that treed squirrels & raccoon & would retrieve doves.
Thats cool! I have a candidate, but she just got spayed (literally today), 10 month old Rez rescue. Husky, shephard, and a splash of something else. She shows an interest in birds and rabbit for sure. Still working on minding me when she is distracted, so I don't think she is field ready yet. Good thoughts though, thanks for the input!IMG_9791.jpg

Back