2023/2024 Pheasant Hunting Videos

I’ve never really done much ditch hunting but after watching your success this year I’m going to have to give it more consideration!

Some times are better than others. Last year all ditches were chock full of snow. Late in the season, if weather is somewhat decent, I find roosters migrate toward ditches after feeding in the morning. Later in the day, not so much. It's almost the opposite of that early in the season. And when they don't dare set foot on public land during the day, ditches become decent options for people without access to private land. Great for rainy or extremely cold days too, if you don't want to be out for long stretches at a time. The heat of the pickup is never far away.

Some times are better than others. Last year all ditches were chock full of snow. Late in the season, if weather is somewhat decent, I find roosters migrate toward ditches after feeding in the morning. Later in the day, not so much. It's almost the opposite of that early in the season. And when they don't dare set foot on public land during the day, ditches become decent options for people without access to private land. Great for rainy or extremely cold days too, if you don't want to be out for long stretches at a time. The heat of the pickup is never far away.
Question for you on the ditches you chose. Driving down a random gravel and saw potential or maybe birds moving and pulled over? Or known good ditches of farmers you know? I get it those ditches had the proper cover to hold birds but trying to wrap my head on how you chose to go where you did.

Question for you on the ditches you chose. Driving down a random gravel and saw potential or maybe birds moving and pulled over? Or known good ditches of farmers you know? I get it those ditches had the proper cover to hold birds but trying to wrap my head on how you chose to go where you did.

I've dedicated my 54 years on Earth, as well as those I have remaining, to finding pheasants. The right cover, near food, preferably corn. Helps to have roosting cover within 1/2 mile or so. What's the right cover? Something that will keep them warm, dry, shaded, in the sun, out of the snow, out of the wind, etc., depending on current conditions. Rarely am I hunting a ditch because I saw pheasants, although I know the areas I hunt are pheasanty. Bare in mind, the videos you're seeing are of the times I guess right. I don't show the ones without pheasants or something else of interest.

Last wild bird of the year. Finished with two missed shots and zero birds in range getting away this season. Another great season.

Testing out some tungsten 7s, they seem to work well. Probably be my standard load next season. Ive noticed most people like the sub 1min shorts, so happy to do those. I have half a seasons worth to edit up still.

Lots of variations of tungsten shot. Which one have you been using? TSS? Tungsten-iron? Tungsten polymer/matrix? Other?

The barrel cam part was labeled. Its hw15 #7. One step below tss, but equal to tss 9s. I have enough shot for it to be my standard load next year, and if i get low on shells I will replace with tss #8.5 or #9.

It really should not be called this. The pheasants are not "on the road." They're in the ditch. Ditch hunting is a much more accurate term.

Its like saying you're hunting the railroad. They're not actually on the tracks. They're in the cover next to it.
The difference is I gotta walk to dang tracks. I'm born and raised in Idaho and I've shot a lot of pheasants out of roadside ditches.

I walked a couple ditches on sat. Birds got up way ahead so no shots fired. Anyone who says ditch hunting is easy must have better spots than me. Only time ive ever had luck ditch hunting was road hunting, which i did not enjoy. We would ride the roads and when you saw one run off the road down into the ditch you toss a hat out the window and keep driving. Then park 75yds up the road and walk back to the bird where the hat is and kill it when it flushes. No dogs obviously. Wasnt fun.

Here is a video of what I think was a great find on a cripple this past December starting to figure out my editing software and hope more videos to come.

The video of a group hunt I did a few weeks back with some Pro Pheasants members.

Lot to be learned from this video. A few things

Good habitat can hold birds.

Hunt all the way out to the edge.

It's nice to be able to stop/call off a dog.

Carry plenty of shells. 🙂

Here is my final MN hunting of the season. This is three days compiled into one. I tried to edit down, 21 minutes is the shortest I could get it! A mix of public and private spots. I'm always open to constructive criticism. This would be Dec 29,30, and 31.

Here is my final MN hunting of the season. This is three days compiled into one. I tried to edit down, 21 minutes is the shortest I could get it! A mix of public and private spots. I'm always open to constructive criticism. This would be Dec 29,30, and 31.

Interesting video - especially like the "last resort wader" part! You're avid, Bob. Let the Golden's loose and they'll find them every time.

Interesting video - especially like the "last resort wader" part! You're avid, Bob. Let the Golden's loose and they'll find them every time.
I felt bad not even getting them one rooster contact on a literal all day hunt. That being said I think the creek made up for it, those girls just love to swim! Roxy was cracking me up, she kept running and jumping off the river bank, all four paws straight horizontal as she cannonballed into the river with reckless abandon🤣. BOOSH! There's Roxy jumping in again. It did take me two tries to find a crossing, the first was too deep. I was just glad I didn't go over my waders or drop my gun in, that would have been a cold swim!20231229_163258.jpg

Back