2013 Low budget land access only hunt

Ranger6

Well I hope everyone is having a great opener and thanks for the posts as this is as close to bird hunting that I will get this year. I am currenting sitting out this season in Afghanistan trying to make it a better place. I am interested in setting up a three to five day Pheasant hunt in 2013. If anyone knows of anyone who provides access only hunts I would appreciate any information. I have a good pointing lab so I am really not looking for a guided hunt just a place where I can take my family on thier first south dakota Pheasant hunt. I have been looking around and was shocked at the prices to hunt Pheasants up that way in the excess of $400 per person a day.
Also I apprciate the kind words on some of my other posts. Coming home to hunt is a big deal to my Soldiers and many of these kids are allready fired up to go next year. Some of these boys had a tough deployment and lost some of our freinds. I would like to get them out on a hunt so they can see the beauty of the oudoors and help them work throgh some post deployment problems by learning to enjoy life again. Long post I know but if you think you have some information for me please send me a note.

Thanks
Tom

Wounded Warriar hunt in 2013

Another thing I would like to start working is a possible wounded warrior hunt in 2013 in South Dakota to help payback to some of my boys who have lost use of arms and legs. To be honest it is something I have only thought of in concept but would be interested if we could put a hunt like this together in South Dakota. Let me know if you think I could get much support or interest for this for next year. Again thanks for your support of our wounded Warriors.

Tom

One of my friends also retired military is helping at a deer hunt at Camp Atterbury starting today for wounded warriors. The Camp has set up the hunt and my buddy is going to guide and assist the hunters as well offer a couple of his guns for the guys to use.
Kinda of proud of him, taking off from work to assist these warriors.Hope he has a great time as I know he will. Told him to take some pictures.

how many guys are you talking about ranger? Are thinking of taking the wounded soldiers or guys that you are friends with you call family ? If you were talking about taking wounded how would you get them a shot or how could you do it?

Another thing I would like to start working is a possible wounded warrior hunt in 2013 in South Dakota to help payback to some of my boys who have lost use of arms and legs. To be honest it is something I have only thought of in concept but would be interested if we could put a hunt like this together in South Dakota. Let me know if you think I could get much support or interest for this for next year. Again thanks for your support of our wounded Warriors.

Tom

Patriot hunts is doing one this year. They did a turkey hunt this spring here this spring. Great organization. The turkey hunt went over very well and I think the pheasant hunt will be great also. The land access is donated and some local companies and business people have been donating $$ for airfare.

http://www.patriothunts.org/

I watched a show a while back where they posted the men in wheelchairs at the ends of the cover and then the guides and dogs pushed the birds to them. This was a hunt set up specifically for the disabled hunters who could no longe walk the fields.

General concept

I would like to start really small the first year maybe two to four guys. A lot of guys are really not hurt that bad and can still get out. My wife is an RN so she could be with us to help if needed. Most of my guys have lower leg amputations and have prothetic feet or lower legs so they get around pretty well. One of my NCOs had his foot blown off in front of me back in 2005 and can now run faster then me. These guys are really not doom and gloom, they are not about what they can't do but more about what they can still do. I would put the guys who can no longer push the fields in blocking positions at the end of the fields or catail marsh and we would push to them. In a perfect world this could start small and turn into an annual event. Again I am just throwing this out as an idea and will work with my senior enlisted advisors for guidance kind of a top down plan with some bottom up refinement to see if we can make this work. I really appreciate the private messages I have recieved and the kind words of support for my Soldiers. If you send me a note and I don't get back to you right away I will as soon as I can as I spend several days each week outside the wire away from the computer.
Thanks for the support.
Tom

I would like to start really small the first year maybe two to four guys. A lot of guys are really not hurt that bad and can still get out. My wife is an RN so she could be with us to help if needed. Most of my guys have lower leg amputations and have prothetic feet or lower legs so they get around pretty well. One of my NCOs had his foot blown off in front of me back in 2005 and can now run faster then me. These guys are really not doom and gloom, they are not about what they can't do but more about what they can still do. I would put the guys who can no longer push the fields in blocking positions at the end of the fields or catail marsh and we would push to them. In a perfect world this could start small and turn into an annual event. Again I am just throwing this out as an idea and will work with my senior enlisted advisors for guidance kind of a top down plan with some bottom up refinement to see if we can make this work. I really appreciate the private messages I have recieved and the kind words of support for my Soldiers. If you send me a note and I don't get back to you right away I will as soon as I can as I spend several days each week outside the wire away from the computer.
Thanks for the support.
Tom

Look at Announcement section on forum at "South Dakota Wounded Warrior Pheasant Hunt". I'll kick in $100:thumbsup:
Also...heading to S E Iowa this weekend to see if we can get into some quail. If you have any of your guys in that area that would like to go, we'd be glad to have them. I'll take care of their license, food, lodging and beer.

Last edited:
Back