2010 Resident Opener!

Husker

It was hot, pushing 80 and I wasn't real excited to hunt my dogs in that so I didn't even go out until after 4. It took us about 45 minutes to bag these 3, should have been less then 20 but the first 3 we flushed I let live with only warning shots! The bird numbers look great and I don't think I saw a section that didn't have a combine in it!

IMG00233-20101009-1806.jpg

(The helpers for the day, my boys, Parker on the left (4) and Hunter on the right (5))
IMG00235-20101009-1817.jpg

(And thought I'd show off last weekends harvest, not a monster but he'll eat good!... Hyde, Co SD 10-2-10)
IMG00226-20101002-1842.jpg

Last edited:
Nice roosters, great pic with the two boys. They look excited.

Nice goat too, he will be good eats for sure

Onpoint

thanks!

Husker!
Thanks for the post and pics. I was just thinking that I would like to see a picture of the 2010 version of the SD Wily Chinese Ringneck! Glad you let those first 3 go....need to have a few left for a little later in the season. Planning to be in the Woonsocket area November 15-17. Then a little huntin' in the McCook/Turner County areas.
Great pic with the boys...future pheasant hunters! Great stuff!
God bless...hope the rest of your year is a great one!:10sign:

Thanks guys! If I were to guess, I think this year will beat the last 2 for openers and the last 2 were outstanding for us anyway!

Here's pic I took on our way out to our hunt, can you count the roosters??

SDC10023.jpg

Eating antelope

I was taught years ago that as soon as an antelope was shot you should drop your rifle and run with your gutting knife and open him up before the sage in the gut sack ruined everything. Even with rapid and serious field preparation, I have been forced to peddle a mountain of antelope chili of on the unsuspecting straights over the years, who either didn't notice or were to polite or intimdated to speak up. Lot's of liquor prior to dining helps too! Back in the 80's Wyoming and the landowners encouraged you to shoot 10 which was the max, included lots of does and fawns, which by the way are better eating. All antelope shine in comparison to sage hens in my opinion.

no way old and new thats like comparing beef to deer the beef wins out everytime and so does the grouse

To those that claim antelope is the best eating wild game, these are the rules:

1. Don't shoot one in the gut or if it has ran for miles
2. Skin it immediately. The hair has an oil in it that ruins the meat if left on
3. Chill it out quickly with ice in the cavity on hot days

I was taught years ago that as soon as an antelope was shot you should drop your rifle and run with your gutting knife .

And hope you trip and stab yourself in the gut so you won't have to eat it.

My luck would be the stab wound wouldn't be fatal, probably just hurt really bad, and I'd still have to gut it and eat it..... just in pain. I still say sage grouse is worse, they don't call 'em sage buzzards for nothing!

You guys don't know what your missing! Goat back straps are wonderful when thrown on the grill fresh, FRESH being the key word! Not as good as venison, but a close second when prepared correctly. The rest of my goats gets made into spicy sticks, most wouldn't no the difference between them and deer sticks. :thumbsup:

Nice SD Hunt

Husker, you and your kids had a great opener. Congratulations! As for antelope meat, I had some that was ground with beef fat added. I grilled it as hamburgers over mesquite-laced charcoal and it tasted pretty good.

Last edited:
I had Goat Once

You guys don't know what your missing! Goat back straps are wonderful when thrown on the grill fresh, FRESH being the key word! Not as good as venison, but a close second when prepared correctly. The rest of my goats gets made into spicy sticks, most wouldn't no the difference between them and deer sticks. :thumbsup:

On my one vacation to Jamaica, in 1975, I had goat. Goat and rice was all that was offered at the one cafe in the town I was in. I preceded the meal with two Cuba Libres made with delicious local 151 rum and then after had a Royal Jamaica corona, all of which made the goat seem not so bad.

To those that claim antelope is the best eating wild game, these are the rules:

1. Don't shoot one in the gut or if it has ran for miles
2. Skin it immediately. The hair has an oil in it that ruins the meat if left on
3. Chill it out quickly with ice in the cavity on hot days

Affirmative. If you do take care of it it is some of the best.

Back