20 gauge shot size for pheasants

treedaddy

I recently bought an old Browning 20 gauge Auto 5. I plan on using it some next fall when I come to South Dakota, especially when walking the CRP fields with the dogs. What size shot should I use? 4, 5, or 6?

1960 A5 fixed skeet barrel

IMG_3512_zps01728487.jpg

IMG_3521_zpsdb4158a0.jpg

IMG_3514_zpsfd3c4191.jpg

Extra full choke barrel, I would really like to find an Improved or modified barrel.

IMG_3531_zps40bad065.jpg

I have a 1960 Sweet Sixteen with a 26" IC vent-rib barrel. All I shoot in mine is #6 shot. I would think #6 shot would be best for you also as if gives you more pellets in the killing zone. You should also be fine with the skeet barrel but I agree with you that an IC or Mod would be better. I'd forget the extra full choke barrel. I buy god premium loads like the Federal Premiums or Fiocchi Godlen Pheasants and you should be good to go.

Wondering what one would pay for a good, used A5, 20 GA? Anyone have an idea of the price range? I am not fussy about what the wood looks like...

I use 6's and 7.5's in my 20 GA.

Thanks.

Ditto . . . 6 & 7-1/2 for me, too.

Did some additional research on A5 prices: "Guns International".com has a huge selection of A5 guns - 16's, 20's and 12's and the prices are all over the board.

The new A5 Browning appears to be less than some of the used ones!

Thanks, George. As you know, any gun I buy I'll need to alter and install front and rear grips due to my arm limitations.

Am looking hard at the new "stalker" - A5. This gun would be easier to accommodate grips and not have a tendency to crack the stock, especially the forend.

Already own an altered 20 ga Gold; however, the A5 mounts better...there's nothing like the "hump" to guide the eye.

I paid $650 for this 20 gauge A5 and also got a basically unused matte full choke barrel too. The gun has been hunted with, but is real clean and tight on the inside. I put some Scott's Liquid Gold on the stock and forearm and it shined it up good. My grandson will get it one day.

IMG_3519.jpg

He is only 10 months old, so I have a good while to play with it.

photo10.jpg

I too am waiting for the day to take my grandkid hunting. My son gets to play with the big guns but he still wants mine.. file04%2file:///C:/Users/Robert/Downloads/2011-11-04%2008.21.17.jpg008.21.17.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, the pic didn't take! It's a pic of my son in a Apache Helo, He's a FISTer , He directs fire on the enemy. and yes 7.5 or 6's

You could send that full-choke barrel to Brilley's in Houston and have them open up the choke -- unless you want another, shorter barrel than what it is now.

Back