16ga ammo sale

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm stocked up on 16ga pheasant loads for at least several years. But that's a heck of a deal for someone needing 16ga phez shells.

Wonder what the most popular shot size is? 🤔
Never been a fan of #4 shot in 16 ga. Probably shot more 6's than 5's. Should have my step-son pick up a couple boxes for me.

1425 fps is too hot for my liking.

Absolutely no benefit to throwing lead so fast. Only serves to blow out patterns & make people THINK they can really reach out & touch someone at ungodly range. (Obviously it'll work for some, but I'd contend it's almost guaranteed that pattern would improve if velocity was a bit lower.)

Absolutely no benefit to throwing lead so fast. Only serves to blow out patterns & make people THINK they can really reach out & touch someone at ungodly range. (Obviously it'll work for some, but I'd contend it's almost guaranteed that pattern would improve if velocity was a bit lower.)

Adds about 5 yards to the effective range of the shot, over 1300fps loads. Almost 10 yards over 1200fps. If you are shooting 6s it makes a big difference, if you are shooting 5s or 4s you probably already have enough penetration with 1200-1300

Adds about 5 yards to the effective range of the shot, over 1300fps loads. Almost 10 yards over 1200fps. If you are shooting 6s it makes a big difference, if you are shooting 5s or 4s you probably already have enough penetration with 1200-1300

I'd suggest the jump between 1200 & 1425 (for 7 whole yards effective range w/ #6's) increasing recoil by 36% & likely significantly affecting the pattern, isn't worth it & is better resolved by using #5's, gaining you 11 yds.

It would seem the hotter loads would impact your lead on the birds, don't know if this is true or not as i generally stay with one velocity, might be my paranoia that my lead will change.

It would seem the hotter loads would impact your lead on the birds, don't know if this is true or not as i generally stay with one velocity, might be my paranoia that my lead will change.

It's insignificant. A matter of a couple/few inches. I don't know a person who can lead a pheasant within a tolerance of a few inches. Plus we're dealing with a pattern 2-3 feet in diameter.

Take a 40 yd true crossing bird screaming at 40 mph, which would be pretty close to absolute worst case for a pheasant. The difference in perfect lead (maybe a topic for another thread?) between 1200 fps & 1425 fps is 11 inches. Most times, as flight angle & speed change, the difference is a fraction of that.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in such high velocities. I've had great luck with my 16 SxS using home loaded 1 1/8-5s at anywhere from 1230-1275 for the different loads. Several times doing better than the others in the group using 12 ga high velocity factory loads, may of been the difference in centered patterns against fringe hits. I think Federal and a couple others are just using it as a marketing ploy.

It's insignificant. A matter of a couple/few inches. I don't know a person who can lead a pheasant within a tolerance of a few inches. Plus we're dealing with a pattern 2-3 feet in diameter.

Take a 40 yd true crossing bird screaming at 40 mph, which would be pretty close to absolute worst case for a pheasant. The difference in perfect lead (maybe a topic for another thread?) between 1200 fps & 1425 fps is 11 inches. Most times, as flight angle & speed change, the difference is a fraction of that.
Good to know thanks A5, you just took away an excuse for me......:ROFLMAO: That is good info to see thanks for sharing.

Back