1-5-15 Hunt

IA at heart

Is this heaven? No, it is a snowy bird hunt in south Central Iowa and that is close enough for me.

Just got in the door from a beautiful 2 hour walk/hunt in heavy snow. I grew up in the snow belt along Lake Erie in NE Ohio. We measured snowfall in feet generally, not inches. So, I love a good snow. I also love seeing and hearing pheasants get up out of the snow. Combine those two things and it is darn near heaven. Some of my fondest memories as a kid are pheasant hunting in DEEP NE Ohio snow.

Anyway, just me today with no dog. Took a while but finally cut some fresh tracks. Followed for a long way. Get to the edge of the river and a nice rooster gets up on the other side of the thick stuff and sails to the safety of the other side. I walked a bit further up the rivers edge and rooster number two gets up. No reasonable shot was offered to me. He too sails across the river into the snow. Rooster number three got up way out in front of me in the tall grass later in the hunt and I had no luck finding him again.

So, no shots fired but I saw my limit:) I was very surprised I did not see a single hen today. That is a bit worrisome but I am sure they are around. All in all, a great afternoon!

Happy to read you finally got out!

If your hunt was anything like mine, the birds were very likely running ahead and escaping your sight. I'm sure many hens were/are in the area.

Back