1/4/14

Duckdog17

Headed out yesterday morning in hopes of beating this cold front, but I still froze my butt off! The winds were brutal, (I knew they were going to be), and it really made scenting conditions tough.
Truthfully, I think between the extreme cold we've had, (freeze drying what little moisture there was), and the 25mph winds yesterday, it was the worst scenting I've seen this season!...And, that's saying something!

All in all, J?ger and I had a pretty good hunt in spite of the conditions.
We had 3 nice covey flushes, but I only dropped one out of each covey because by the time I'd counted to 11 they were way out there!! lol!!

Most of the birds were found in the crop stubble, or adjacent to it in narrow waterways. And, those were probably pushed in there. I'd say they were gorging themselves in preparation for this cold front.

I didn't take very many pics because my hands were freezing as soon as I started fumbling with the camera!
But, here are a few pics from the hunt...
D77592B0-A1CF-4FDB-91F9-D2473721F748-15175-0000247086AF0F59_zps5acafe73.jpg

This next series was a running rooster. J?ger would point, I'd snap a pic then release him....and, repeat.
We never caught up to that bird until we doubled back through the field again and he finally flushed wild. The funny part is, we had a rooster do that EXACT same thing to us a few weeks ago, on that EXACT same stretch of field!
I'd say that's one Wiley old rooster. He is in my mind anyway...
43489A7C-FE4C-4EB0-AC2E-181677FA2F55-15175-00002470710BCD90_zps5571fcf8.jpg

CA92E032-9291-4651-8A29-C1BA412BC8DA-15175-00002470693CB14C_zps0200b94f.jpg

899E78A8-8253-4C4B-8464-DC0B00707C11-15175-0000247065202CE5_zpsad8c6eca.jpg

Sorry about the "X" rating on this next pic, but J?ger gets a little excited about birds.
C2DDA468-9271-4E36-A93C-929F4A75594A-15175-00002470788584AF_zps96b13417.jpg

I'll tell ya how bad the scenting conditions were...
We were walking through a wide waterway, and walked up to within 25-30 yards of 3 coyotes! The look on their face when they turned around and saw us was priceless!! :eek:

That was a pretty good hunt for you yesterday.

Don't you just love Milo when it is near some cover. It will hold pheasants, quail and an occasional Prairie Chicken.

Unfortunately, the land owner moved his cattle to that last milo field. If he'd have just let them have access to the stubble,...no big deal.
But,...he let them have it all, and the little grove of trees at the end that's normally full of 6-7' weeds and wild sunflowers, was totally trampled. :(

I just hate seeing good habitat like that get ruined. Especially, this time of year when the birds are going to need everything they can get.

Thats a nice hunt in these slim times! Congrats and thats an awesome pheasant finding machine you have there!

Thanks duckn!
J?ger is 9 months old now and I think he's doing pretty good.
It's funny...he always looks so serious in all his hunting pics, but he's still the biggest knucklehead puppy you ever saw! He just got in trouble for eating 1/2 a bar of soap out of the bath tub. :eek:

I forgot to tell ya'all about one of his best points...
He'd kind of worked his way around behind me and ended up about 8-10 feet off of my right side...
I look over at him and he's locked up on my feet!
About that time, a covey flushed up around me!!

He is a great looking dog. Sounds like great fun. Gotta love a dog that get's that excited about birds:)

great pics! good looking dog too. your guys and your milo...I never find birds around milo...I'm cursed...lol

I always hunt around milo when I see it in Kansas but just havent found many birds....I find them mostly on beans. but thats what I'm used to hunting here in IL.....beans, corn and sunflowers

I like to hunt around milo and beans the best. I seem to have found as many quail around beans this year as I have milo though.

I'd like to hunt around ANYTHING right now that wasn't covered in a foot or more of snow and or ice...blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....I HATE THIS WEATHER.....:(

Great photos and dog work. Gives we KS hunters some hope for the remains of the season. I'm giving NW walk-in a whirl this weekend. Hope to get a turkey or two too. Woohoo! :p

milo

i prefer to hunt wheat that has lots of weeds, next, would be corn of it is blown in with weed, and then milo but then it has to have weed also. if the milo is clean, the birds just run the rows and the dogs following them, if it is uncut then your pointing dogs then become flushing dogs as ya can't see them. maybe i should get dogs with longer high tails. pheasants seem to love the seeds and with milo it looks like most of the crop is left on the ground. quail seem to love the stuff also, esp. if it has been cut. to properly hunt milo, you should walk cross ways to the rows, that slows down the running of both the dogs and the birds but is a lot of work. mid week i will head to kansas and the field i have in mind is nearly a full section of milo, about 1'4 was not cut and it has birds in it, actually quite a few. the problem this late in the year is that shortly if not already will be pastured and that ends the hunting in that field along with winter cover for the birds, happens every year. they don't pasture old wheat. been looking for a snow report in n. w. kansas, can't find anything on the western half of the state. taking two dogs again and my bow. still hoping for a turkey

cheers

i prefer to hunt wheat that has lots of weeds, next, would be corn of it is blown in with weed, and then milo but then it has to have weed also. if the milo is clean, the birds just run the rows and the dogs following them, if it is uncut then your pointing dogs then become flushing dogs as ya can't see them. maybe i should get dogs with longer high tails. pheasants seem to love the seeds and with milo it looks like most of the crop is left on the ground. quail seem to love the stuff also, esp. if it has been cut. to properly hunt milo, you should walk cross ways to the rows, that slows down the running of both the dogs and the birds but is a lot of work. mid week i will head to kansas and the field i have in mind is nearly a full section of milo, about 1'4 was not cut and it has birds in it, actually quite a few. the problem this late in the year is that shortly if not already will be pastured and that ends the hunting in that field along with winter cover for the birds, happens every year. they don't pasture old wheat. been looking for a snow report in n. w. kansas, can't find anything on the western half of the state. taking two dogs again and my bow. still hoping for a turkey

cheers

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/

try this link.......

Back