Pheasants are way down!!!!

hazzard

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/small-game/pheasant-outlook.aspx

2011 Pheasant Brood Survey Results by Area
Pheasants per mile (PPM) Difference of 2011 PPM with
City Area 2011 Survey 2010 Survey 10-yr. ave. 2010 Survey 10-yr. ave.
Chamberlain 11.51 17.00 15.70 -32% -27%
Winner 7.16 8.42 7.41 -15% -3%
Pierre 9.15 13.95 8.50 -34% 8%
Mobridge 5.73 10.85 6.35 -47% -10%
Aberdeen 2.56 6.48 6.65 -61% -62%
Huron 3.00 6.88 7.87 -56% -62%
Mitchell 2.83 5.84 6.27 -52% -55%
Yankton 0.63 1.45 1.51 -57% -58%
Sioux Falls 0.79 1.45 2.38 -46% -67%
Brookings 1.13 2.25 4.47 -50% -75%
Watertown 1.68 2.99 4.86 -44% -65%
Sisseton 0.58 2.33 1.97 -75% -70%
Western SD 3.28 4.27 2.67 -17% 32%
STATEWIDE 3.55 6.54 6.04 -46% -41%
NOTE: Comparisons are valid only between years within each local area.

Last edited:
Does not suprise me a bit. I have been saying it all summer. I just don't see near as many chich as usually see. I keep hearing ... " there is so much cover" and "they are in the corn and beans". I'm out every day until sun down. Everything I have seen have been small broods- 3 to 4 chicks.

Also the crazy weather we have been having the last 9 month.
1. Tough winter in northern and eastern part of state
2. Eastern SD was very wet in May sooooo much less CRP
3. Huge rain storms in keys areas - Pierre, Platte, Winner, Chamberlain. We had a 4" rain twice in June. Not good for pheasants chicks.

I'm still looking forward to Oct. - its going to be another great season.

Figures! I finally got it worked out to go back to SD this season and now I hear this:mad: While I do enjoy getting out and "it's all about the adventure blah, blah, blah" I only go to SD and ND to see big #'s. I can do all the outdoor exercising I want right here in KS:rolleyes:

NE of Huron doesn't look good.

However, hen to rooster ratios are estimated to be 1.2/1 verses 3/1 for 2010. This definately doesn't help the recovery for 2012 broods, but it does mean that the decline in rooster numbers are far less than the percentages shown in the estimates for 2011. If my math is correct, roosters are down 29% statewide by their numbers.

Pretty much as I suspected. Especially in the Aberdeen area. We had a helluva winter and it took a toll. I still think you will find some isolated areas that will still have excellent numbers. Remember guys, we are coming off some record years. So this doesn't mean the hunting will be bad, just not as good as the last several years.

WOW! I agree with KansasBrittney. I think our group will cancel. Aberdeen area down 62%!!!! That is a huge decline. Not worth the trip for $200 a day treaspass fee.

Those numbers from Siseton down to Sioux City, through Brookings et.al over to Yankton look like what I see in North Missouri these days! I realize that the eastern 1/4 north to south is not the hotspot but still. Grim.

I can't catch a break this year!!!!!!!......locally I couldn't get a Dove draw, I crapped out on the SD non resident waterfowl draw and now the bird count is down by 50%.............My wife is taking all sharp cutting tools out of the drawers and I'm not allowed on a ladder any more........If someone say's that Santa doesn't exist I'm checking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You half glass empty guy's crack me up!!! So it takes you 2 or 3 hours to limit up , instead of 1 !!!!! C-Mon Man!!!! LOL!!! Run the dogs you will do fine!!!

Pretty much as I suspected. Especially in the Aberdeen area. We had a helluva winter and it took a toll. I still think you will find some isolated areas that will still have excellent numbers. Remember guys, we are coming off some record years. So this doesn't mean the hunting will be bad, just not as good as the last several years.

Zeb looks like Aberdeen and Watertown are about the same, you picked the right year to move I guess.:D
Here in Winner The numbers don't seem down as the birds are still all over the place. There will still be 100+ Roosters per sq mile shot in northern Tripp county this year.

Looks like my area, Platte is going to be about normal or down a little. This should make for good hunting, I just remind myself that 6 years ago we didn't have many birds and the addition of 140 or so acres of CRP made for very good hunting.:) My guess is that in some areas the fall hunt will be just fine and then not so good in other areas.:(

lol.....man, not to get sappy or anything but remember you will still flush birds, still bag birds, maybe get a nice rooster or two with a monster tail to drop off to the taxidermist.

You can still walk the fields, watch you dogs work for birds, laugh and joke with your friends and family.

Those awesome South Dakota Sunsets will still be setting, if timing is right you'll catch that all impressive harvest moon. Then, taking in a deep breath, thanking God your alive.

It's all good my friends. ;)

cancel...don't come...not worth it...stay home....kidding, of course...but, there will be lots of guys that cancel...all in all, it may be a better overall experience if hunter #'s drop and access gets a bit easier...I started hunting sharpies in ND about 4 years ago and I have GREAT days when I shoot a handful of birds and see a few dozen...same thing with ruffed grouse...kill a bird or two or three out of 10-20 that I see or hear in an outing is an awesome experience! I would certainly prefer to hear that #'s are at par with the last decade or so, but "it is what it is"...I have a 4 month old pup that I have been working with the last week or so and she is doing really well, and I can't wait to get her out there and get her on birds...and my newest S X S, a 16 gauge from Ugartechea, via Aspen Outfitting Company, is taunting me in a big way...can't wait!!!!

You are SO right about that. Sometimes though, I have to vent a bit. You have to remember that for some of us, it's our "HOLY GRAIL" 5 day trip that we look forward to from the second we pull out the previous year. Here in Indiana we can't walk out our front door and shoot birds. We have very little if any CRP land left. What we have is for reserved hunts only. The private ground that we USED to be able to hunt is now being leased by some high rolling corporate big wigs from Chicago that have been coming in the past 10 years and waving wads of FAT cash in front of these little old ladies and locking up entire fields for the whole year. Before some of you laugh at me for being less than optimistic regarding the bird population try to realize that you have that Great State to hunt all season long and some of you take that for granted.......

I agree with you TerryB. I'm from Northeast Indiana and it is the same here as in your area.....Phil V.

A bad year in South Dakota is 1000 times better than a good year in UT. I will be there in November.

Bad year in SD will be like a good year in KS I assume. We'll still be there. We'll be buying birds this season in the parts of KS I hunt. Hey, at least in SD I'll have a chance at my first sharpie.

I am seeing quite a few late birds, I don't know why but there are more than usual. I doubt that they would show up in a brood count with the dense cover. I still think that we will have a good year here.

Back