A5 Sweet 16 Sold

mgorvi

I bought a new A5 Sweet 16 before I left for SD this past Fall. I hunted with it for 3 days and put less than a box of shells through it. It has a 28” barrel and she’s a little long for me. I sent the barrel to Mike Orlen for a cutdown and re-rethread, but he cannot install a tru-choke in it because the tolerances won’t allow it, so the barrel is on its way back. I can send it to Briley and have a thin wall put in, but the cut-down and re-thread will cost $400 plus shipping both directions. Anyway, she’s like new, and barely used. If a 28” barrel agrees with you, you can save a few hundred bucks off a new one. I’d like to see them offer the same gun with a 24” barrel, and that could happen if they get some pressure. I also have about a $100 worth of ammo. The gun is shy of 6lbs and is a pleasure to hunt with. $1200 Thanks for reading. Sold

Last edited:
I bought a new A5 Sweet 16 before I left for SD this past Fall. I hunted with it for 3 days and put less than a box of shells through it. It has a 28” barrel and she’s a little long for me. I sent the barrel to Mike Orlen for a cutdown and re-rethread, but he cannot install a tru-choke in it because the tolerances won’t allow it, so the barrel is on its way back. I can send it to Briley and have a thin wall put in, but the cut-down and re-thread will cost $400 plus shipping both directions. Anyway, she’s like new, and barely used. If a 28” barrel agrees with you, you can save a few hundred bucks off a new one. I’d like to see them offer the same gun with a 24” barrel, and that could happen if they get some pressure. I also have about a $100 worth of ammo. The gun is shy of 6lbs and is a pleasure to hunt with. $1200 Thanks for reading.

Wondering if the barrel is cut 2" and no screw-in chokes installed, would you basically have cyl bore? And could you still use the gun for quail, grouse, and close-in sporty shot and possibly early pheasant?

Just curious...

Cylinder bore

Wondering if the barrel is cut 2" and no screw-in chokes installed, would you basically have cyl bore? And could you still use the gun for quail, grouse, and close-in sporty shot and possibly early pheasant?

Just curious...

That might be another option. I really like the option of tightening things up when it’s windy and later on in the season. A 24” barrel with a Trulock IC extended tube early, with the option of the skeet II choke later on and in the wind would be the best case scenario for me. Have to see what Browning comes up with for barrels. If they are $500 each, I’m better off selling it while it’s in perfect shape, and buying another one, or just using the one I have. It’s a great gun, IMO.

That might be another option. I really like the option of tightening things up when it’s windy and later on in the season. A 24” barrel with a Trulock IC extended tube early, with the option of the skeet II choke later on and in the wind would be the best case scenario for me. Have to see what Browning comes up with for barrels. If they are $500 each, I’m better off selling it while it’s in perfect shape, and buying another one, or just using the one I have. It’s a great gun, IMO.

I'll be interested in hearing how you fare in selling the gun. For some reason a used gun gets heavily discounted, although the older Bng. sweet 16' and 20's keep their value. I've seen new-in-the-box A5's (older) advertised for $4900!

I'll be interested in hearing how you fare in selling the gun. For some reason a used gun gets heavily discounted, although the older Bng. sweet 16' and 20's keep their value. I've seen new-in-the-box A5's (older) advertised for $4900!

I saw that Vintage Sweet 16 for $4900. Have to see how things go with mine. She might go around $1100. Won’t be heart-broken if it doesn’t, tho.

Back