Youth Season

KansasGsp

Took my 12 year old son and his best friend hunting yesterday. The first field was a long walk for the boys with only one hen being seen. About 50 yards from being back to the truck I was in the middle of thinking "well this hasn't gone as planned" when his friend stepped on a rooster!!! He missed him with the first shot but broke a wing on the second and he hit the ground running. My dog was a little ways away when this way happening and by the time he got to the area the bird had tucked himself into some thick cover. We spent 20 mins looking for that bird to no avail. Boys were bummed but ready to hit another field after the excitement. It was warming up and the wind was starting to blow, figured we had one more short walk so we hit one more place and thank goodness it was a good one. Put up 4 roosters 50 yards from the truck, both boys missed but hey, we got hop in our step now! Continued our way around the field and my dog was working birds darn near the whole time. He locked up on a rooster that my boy kicked up and missed, dang it!!! Headed back towards the truck and he starts working a running bird. Trails him 75 yards and he locks up, okay here we go again! My son walks up and 2 roosters come up right in his face! He missed with the first shot but folded one with the second! He starts yelling "I got one, I got one!" Not sure who was happier, him or I. Anyways, perfect end. After pictures were taken and he called his mother we headed home with him talking about it the whole way. To add to his weekend, he shot his first crossbow deer (doe) Friday night, perfect double lung, 25 yards. Been a good weekend for us. Now, ready for next weekend. Excited as heck to spend time with buddies hunting family ground we've hunted for the past 25 years. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

Took my 12 year old son and his best friend hunting yesterday. The first field was a long walk for the boys with only one hen being seen. About 50 yards from being back to the truck I was in the middle of thinking "well this hasn't gone as planned" when his friend stepped on a rooster!!! He missed him with the first shot but broke a wing on the second and he hit the ground running. My dog was a little ways away when this way happening and by the time he got to the area the bird had tucked himself into some thick cover. We spent 20 mins looking for that bird to no avail. Boys were bummed but ready to hit another field after the excitement. It was warming up and the wind was starting to blow, figured we had one more short walk so we hit one more place and thank goodness it was a good one. Put up 4 roosters 50 yards from the truck, both boys missed but hey, we got hop in our step now! Continued our way around the field and my dog was working birds darn near the whole time. He locked up on a rooster that my boy kicked up and missed, dang it!!! Headed back towards the truck and he starts working a running bird. Trails him 75 yards and he locks up, okay here we go again! My son walks up and 2 roosters come up right in his face! He missed with the first shot but folded one with the second! He starts yelling "I got one, I got one!" Not sure who was happier, him or I. Anyways, perfect end. After pictures were taken and he called his mother we headed home with him talking about it the whole way. To add to his weekend, he shot his first crossbow deer (doe) Friday night, perfect double lung, 25 yards. Been a good weekend for us. Now, ready for next weekend. Excited as heck to spend time with buddies hunting family ground we've hunted for the past 25 years. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.
There needs to be more than a "like" available for this. I hope your son is hooked!

Back