Youth pheasant hunting license requirement

I am bringing my son up to Kansas again this year for the youth season. I have always bought a license for my son and one for myself. This year I have a friend that is going to meet us up there with his son. He was wondering if the adult with the youth that is hunting needs a license. He will get one for his son. There is a possibility that we may end up in different fields and he wanted to make sure he would be ok without an adult license.

I searched the website, but can't find it. Down here it usually says a youth hunting with a licensed adult.

I believe this falls under a combination of regulations and is open to interpretation of your action by the warden

KSA 32-919. Hunting licenses. (a) Except as otherwise provided by law or rules and regulations of the secretary, a valid Kansas hunting license is required to hunt in this state.

KSA 32-701. Definitions. As used in the wildlife, parks and tourism laws of this state, unless the context otherwise requires or specifically defined otherwise:

(t) "Take" means harass, harm, pursue, shoot, wound, kill, molest, trap, capture, collect, catch, possess or otherwise take, or attempt to engage in any such conduct.

As I've heard this explained by the wardens, if you are participating in the hunt you need a licence, if you are a spectator then you don't. However a spectator can't work a dog, carry shells, flush birds, carry birds, locate and identify birds etc. Anything that is aiding the hunter is counted as participating in the hunt. Other examples would include assisting in dragging out a deer or calling turkeys, for both of these you still need a licence. All depends on the warden you're dealing with and their interpretation of the law. A lot of them aren't going to write you if your taking a kid hunting, but by the letter of the law you're safest to just have the licence.

I am bringing my son up to Kansas again this year for the youth season. I have always bought a license for my son and one for myself. This year I have a friend that is going to meet us up there with his son. He was wondering if the adult with the youth that is hunting needs a license. He will get one for his son. There is a possibility that we may end up in different fields and he wanted to make sure he would be ok without an adult license.

I searched the website, but can't find it. Down here it usually says a youth hunting with a licensed adult.

Surely the adults are not planning on hunting during the youth season?????????????

Back