youth hunt reports

99 inquiring minds have wanted this thread already this morning but nobody's talking;) They must still be cleaning birds or they're waiting till they have time to upload their :coolpics:

Thanks for the reply Kansas Brittanys, were still deciding if were going to make the trek. Funny, one of my Britts is ( Lady Scout "Kansas" Kid ) lineage from Renagade "kansas" Kid. And my only reply eas from Kansas LOL. We'll keep checking for any reports. Normally hunt De Smet area.
Good Luck

I had a couple of youth hunters and they were VERY sad as they did not see much and a normally very GOOD 20 acre patch of CRP was zilch nadda--the dog did not even get birdy--its very disapointing so say the least :(

Wish I had a better report but that is it.

brought my 2 boys, my nephew, and my cousin's son...3 dad's, 4 boys...all had a good time. Birds are better than the GFP survey suggests, at least in our area. Also had 2 local youth join us at times...great weather...highs in the 40's...nice on the dogs. Didn't see any other youth hunters in stores, bars, driving, hunting, etc...

brought my 2 boys, my nephew, and my cousin's son...3 dad's, 4 boys...all had a good time. Birds are better than the GFP survey suggests, at least in our area. Also had 2 local youth join us at times...great weather...highs in the 40's...nice on the dogs. Didn't see any other youth hunters in stores, bars, driving, hunting, etc...

If you were seeing the "youth" hunters driving and in the bars they must have had REALLY bad days.......haha

Hey Banger..Safari here...the reason you did not see any other youth hunters is that you are the only one that has any Habitat left in Sanborn County.

I am headed to the "Last Best Place" in the morning...Regent, ND.

Hey Banger..Safari here...the reason you did not see any other youth hunters is that you are the only one that has any Habitat left in Sanborn County.

I am headed to the "Last Best Place" in the morning...Regent, ND.

Ahh, Regent...you lucky @#$%^&! That area is just incredible. Enjoy the trip:cheers: Please post some pics of the cover if you take any.

This is my 6th year doing the youth hunt...never saw another group...not just in my area, but anywhere--stores, restaurants, bars, out hunting...just the way it is...they even lowered the license to $10 for nonresidents who are 15 and under! Bird #'s are looking good...well above the estimate from gfp, BUT, of course, only where there is habitat...nothing that hasn't been said for the last few years....enjoy the season! Been chasing grouse twice in ND...great fun! and about 12 days now here in Mn for ruffs...great fun! Bird #'s across the board in all three states are better than were forecasted...my young lab is having a ball...so am I!

The only way I know how to preserve hunting is to pass on the tradition, develop habitat, and/or support others who are developing habitat...I am doing all three. Periodically checking in on this site and sniping at members and reminding us how things are getting worse is fine if that is what you are into...whatever...we hunted many different areas this past weekend and there were surprising bird numbers...stay in Regent!!!!!

The only way I know how to preserve hunting is to pass on the tradition, develop habitat, and/or support others who are developing habitat...I am doing all three. Periodically checking in on this site and sniping at members and reminding us how things are getting worse is fine if that is what you are into...whatever...we hunted many different areas this past weekend and there were surprising bird numbers...stay in Regent!!!!!

Not sniping at all Banger...GLAD that you are preserving habitat!!! Just disgusted that 80% are converting habitat to crops in my estimation in your area. Not that Regent hasn't been touched..probably lost 30% since 07' but I think the bleeding will stop there.

Got to catch a plane to Bismarck!!!

Safari--from my point of view, your time spent on this forum is essentially to defend positions you have taken over the past several years concerning how dire and dreadful things are...the minute anyone posts about something positive, you appear only to try and offer some sobering, negative perspective on the state of pheasant habitat. We have seen this trend coming for years now...kind of a blinding flash of the obvious! All I do is chuckle every time I shoot a rooster on public ground...and I shoot more than just a few...knowing how plentiful these public spots are and how decent the hunting is on lots of them. Anyhow, you clearly have been viewed by many, many participants on this forum as a "debbie downer" who offers very little in terms of constructive feedback...again, mostly it is an attempt to validate prior positions you have taken regarding the demise of the pheasant in SD....why don't you take a trip through UGUIDE and support someone who is working really hard to create, preserve, and improve habitat by making it a profit center for landowners? Perhaps you can't claim to flush thousands of birds in a given field--or maybe you can--but you can claim to be aligning yourself with others who are doing something proactive...maybe that is what you do now with whoever you are hunting with in ND, but I think I recall you going to other areas when bird #'s have been high in those areas, perhaps Doland, if I recall correctly...seems you have this thing about being able to boast about bird #'s in the area you hunt...anyhow, I am sure you aren't a babyraper or stealing from old ladies...you probably are a decent guy who does positive things...I just don't have much time for you given the manner in which you have interacted with many of us on this board...one guys perspective. Oh, and in case it matters, more than 1/2 the birds our youth group shot were not on my ground...they were shot on multiple smaller spots that were full of birds...many of them public spots.

Safari--from my point of view, your time spent on this forum is essentially to defend positions you have taken over the past several years concerning how dire and dreadful things are...the minute anyone posts about something positive, you appear only to try and offer some sobering, negative perspective on the state of pheasant habitat. We have seen this trend coming for years now...kind of a blinding flash of the obvious! All I do is chuckle every time I shoot a rooster on public ground...and I shoot more than just a few...knowing how plentiful these public spots are and how decent the hunting is on lots of them. Anyhow, you clearly have been viewed by many, many participants on this forum as a "debbie downer" who offers very little in terms of constructive feedback...again, mostly it is an attempt to validate prior positions you have taken regarding the demise of the pheasant in SD....why don't you take a trip through UGUIDE and support someone who is working really hard to create, preserve, and improve habitat by making it a profit center for landowners? Perhaps you can't claim to flush thousands of birds in a given field--or maybe you can--but you can claim to be aligning yourself with others who are doing something proactive...maybe that is what you do now with whoever you are hunting with in ND, but I think I recall you going to other areas when bird #'s have been high in those areas, perhaps Doland, if I recall correctly...seems you have this thing about being able to boast about bird #'s in the area you hunt...anyhow, I am sure you aren't a babyraper or stealing from old ladies...you probably are a decent guy who does positive things...I just don't have much time for you given the manner in which you have interacted with many of us on this board...one guys perspective. Oh, and in case it matters, more than 1/2 the birds our youth group shot were not on my ground...they were shot on multiple smaller spots that were full of birds...many of them public spots.

Wow that was long overdue!

safari--what do you do after shooting your 3 birds in a place like Regent? You can hunt at about sunrise, right? You must be done by 9 am? As I recall you don't hunt over your own dog...so, I guess the idea of maximizing hunting time to reward both you and your dog isn't an issue...I took 2 trips to ND for sharpies last month...one in a decent area, and one is a poorer area (been there four times now, great fun no matter)...hunting in the good area meant we were done on a few days by 2 or 3 pm...beer tastes OK, but I would rather be hunting...my young female lab is really "getting it"...nothing funner than watching her hunt like a maniac! Maybe there is a trap range, a movie theater, a golf course, horseshoe pit, etc at the outfit where you are? If I don't get 10 miles of walking in on a given day I feel it is a failed day...I walk about 9 a day from April-Sept, and try to do 6 minimum the rest of the year, so when I am hunting I really try and take advantage of the ultimate "trifecta"--walking, hunting over my dog, and sightseeing in the most awesome natural areas in this country...it puzzles me when I hear guys boast about how they were done in ____ minutes...I have been on hunts like this, that is fine...not my cup of tea...I drive 500 miles to wrap 'er up in 45 minutes? Nope....

Just got back this evening...Very Good in Regent..not the best I have ever seen but definately an improvement over last years bird numbers that were knocked back significantly by winter 2010. No 9:00 limits this year and mark the time and the date..I DID NOT LIMIT ON SUNDAY..just not at the right place & time for good SAFE shots on Sunday..some in the group elected to take those UNSAFE shots I passed up and HEARD about it after the drive.

Saved the honeyhole for Monday when most were flying back home.
As good as I remember anywhere during the glory days that ended in 2007.
I was done early on that last drive and just savored that last push up to the road...they just kept coming out and out and out......for probably 20 minutes +.

Good trip... was a bummer, however on the flight from Bismarck to the Cities today. Normally a beautiful flight over the prairie pothole region BUT OMG the CRP that was on FIRE...sickening!!!!!

Like last year did get to watch our Cardinals clinch one playoff series on Friday night and then split a game apiece in SF.

Back