young rooster versus hen

obx

what are the best ways to tell a young rooster from a hen. how do the 2 differ? Do hens have that red eye like a rooster?

If you can't distinguish a roosters color don't shoot! Hens don't have red wattles around the eye but that would be a tough one to see on a flush. Also hens have a very distinct almost whistle sound when flushed but color, even on a young bird will be the best tell. When in doubt don't shoot.

Young Rooster

If you are talking about wild birds, it can be very hard to distinguish young roosters from hens. If I'm not sure, I just don't shoot. One fool proof way to tell a yong rooster though is their bellies will have white on them before they get their full colors. If you have one banking away from you or flying above you and you see white on it. It's a young rooster.

quail hound has it correct. If those young "peepers" don't crow when taking off, or get up into the sun, you better lem 'em go.

If you can't tell, you don't shoot.
The other one that is tough is a prairie chicken from a hen pheasants. Several chickens have gotten away from me because of that.

OBX, that is a good question.
Good answers too. Really hard for even veteran pheasant hunters to tell young roosters from hens.
Sometimes they will give out a rooster like squawk, but still. Best to let them get some color.:thumbsup:

setter when you get good like me i only shoot the male quail as well just 1 bb to the head but im not one to brag:D

You will have to come give me shooting lessons. I am waisting lead with two bb's to the head. And I am not a sexist like you, I treat the females just like an equal to the males.
:D

Back