Young birds

Quailnerd

I’ve been out a few times this year and two things jump out, it’s improved slightly over last year and the few birds I’ve shot have been young. Even the blue quail I’ve found are the same. Great that we had a hatch but I’ve never seen this many young birds. Anyone else notice this?????

twoodrow12

Killed two birds in NW OK opening weekend that were so young they hadn't even developed head color yet. Got out of that covey quick.

lbills

Killed two birds in NW OK opening weekend that were so young they hadn't even developed head color yet. Got out of that covey quick.
I had the exact same thing happen to me two weeks ago in the Rolling Plains of Texas.

lbills

The lower bird in the picture is the one I was referring to.

Quailnerd

Saw a covey today the size of sparrows, so small they didn’t even make a normal covey rise sound. Im not complaining by any means just wondering why Mother Nature was running late this year. Good problem to have I suppose!

westksbowhunter

Mother nature didn't run late. Quail will raise several broods a year. It could have very well been the 3rd brood they raised. If they are that small don't shoot them.

Quailnerd

Obviously it’s not wise to shoot baby birds after the realization that goes without saying… I’ve personally seen more young birds on the average than years past, making me think 1st and 2nd attempts were unsuccessful or delayed.