Xmas Hunt 2016.....

24 hours away from heading back out for one more week in SD. Been a little over four weeks since returning home from the last trip, seems like four months when you have the itch to hunt pheasants.

Would expect to be into birds just like the last trip but they will obviously be more educated. Looking forward to getting a few on my young setters back out and on birds. They showed a lot of promise last trip and can't wait to see what they do this time around.

As much as I love to hunt every day and all day this trip will be more about the family, friends, and of course quality time with the dogs. I guess I could say I am getting old and I hate to admit that. Now a days its about the appreciation of the time spend instead of shooting a limit every day.

I want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season!

Chad, Assume you aware of the pending rough weather for Christmas Day. Ice, wind, freezing rain and probably crusted snow. Not a good forecast for most of the state...

Chad,

You are a good man for spending time with family and doing the right thing. I believe God will honor you for that choice and give you some good shorter times with the dogs! I would like to hunt with those dogs sometime as well. Merry Christmas.

Joel

Xmas trip

Buried my truck near Webster. Paul, owner of Lynn Lake Lodge came and
pulled me out. Would of spent the night otherwise. Had towstrap, clevis, spare battery, food, snowshoes,and sleeping bags in the truck, but forgot my shovel. Live and learn. Roads drifted shut all over this area. Don't know where you are headed. Good luck and be safe. Geez was it windy today.

My son and I are headed out the day after Christmas, will be a great trip. Good luck to all and best wishes for the upcoming holidays.

really bad weather coming in a couple days, be careful out there, many roads will be drifted shut, extreme wind chills as well. will be tough to walk and hunt.

Chad, Assume you aware of the pending rough weather for Christmas Day. Ice, wind, freezing rain and probably crusted snow. Not a good forecast for most of the state...

JB,

Been watching the weather for a week. Looks like Sunday is the major weather event day for us. From what I see we are outside the main snow that's tracking. We are looking at heavy rain, maybe a little snow mixed in. Looking at 40-50 mph wind Sunday night, that' sounds enjoyable. Probably be a day off right away looking at Sunday. We are planned for 10 days so taking a day or two off is no big deal, family time.

Last edited:
Chad,

You are a good man for spending time with family and doing the right thing. I believe God will honor you for that choice and give you some good shorter times with the dogs! I would like to hunt with those dogs sometime as well. Merry Christmas.

Joel

Joel,

We will have to meet up sometime I am definitely game.

I know the dogs won't like down days while out there. They are already bouncing off the walls the last few days because they know where we are going. All I have to do is flash a little orange or maybe a gun case and they tend to come unglued.

Last edited:
Chad,

Please Do a anti snow dance I see the area I'm going to they are calling for 1-7 inches of snow.....throwing in the snowshoes for emergency and hunting....wife thinks I'm crazy for still wanting to go out, but need just one more fix of pheasant flushes. Hope your hunt is going well.

December hunting I'd great, although very difficult. I agree with that guy, who said, it's all about getting out, and being with your dog. Not all about limits, and numbers, although getting shut out isn't fun.That should be some great hunting out in SD.

Chad,

Please Do a anti snow dance I see the area I'm going to they are calling for 1-7 inches of snow.....throwing in the snowshoes for emergency and hunting....wife thinks I'm crazy for still wanting to go out, but need just one more fix of pheasant flushes. Hope your hunt is going well.

Crossing my fingers we stay out of the snow. 34 this morning and light breeze. Today should be a absolutely beautiful day to hunt. I will update how things go......

Good luck on your hunt today! Look forward to your report.
My son, a buddy, and I will be out there after Christmas, and will
send a report upon our return.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to everyone. Enjoy this special time of year with friends and family, and to all you grandpa's (me included), the grandchildren bring fresh life into Christmas spirit.

Be safe in the field everyone, giving safety speeches never gets old, and is a necessary reminder for all of us.

Good luck on your hunt today! Look forward to your report.
My son, a buddy, and I will be out there after Christmas, and will
send a report upon our return.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to everyone. Enjoy this special time of year with friends and family, and to all you grandpa's (me included), the grandchildren bring fresh life into Christmas spirit.

Be safe in the field everyone, giving safety speeches never gets old, and is a necessary reminder for all of us.

Safe travels & happy hunting Lee I'm looking forward to your report back...

Thinking I'll skip my 2nd SD hunt period this year guys getting stuck leery birds & cattails unsafe to walk I better hold off hunting solo out there...

Best of luck to you also beirlsetters always dig ur reports off the public lands...

Crossing my fingers we stay out of the snow. 34 this morning and light breeze. Today should be a absolutely beautiful day to hunt. I will update how things go......

Absolutely gorgeous day today. Actually the whole week was awesome after you got thru Sunday.

Well day #1 was a beautiful weather day to say the least. Looks like more of the same today. It took us 2 1/2 hours to fill a three man limit yesterday. Birds are educated and had a lot of birds run out the end of the sections we pushed but still had enough hold to have a absolute stellar day of pheasant hunting. Still seeing 40-50% roosters in the mix. The dog work yesterday believe or not impressed me. I have been hunting behind my dogs for years and they seem to get better all the time. Have some young dogs with that will get a very good education on this trip by the contact they will get.

Day #2 will hopefully be as good as day #1. Tomorrow I don't see us doing much due to weather probably just enjoying the day as family in SD......

Good luck to everyone!

I'm headed up to the frozen north, for the last week of the mt. Season.Ice, cat tails . Russian olive trees, wind, geese, ya gotta love it. Merry Christmas to everybody chasing the wild chicken...

Thinking about it...Monday afternoon in Winner, SD et al. Traveling alone this trip. Anyone else in that vicinity for those few day's?

Have no land to hunt, except public...

What better way to break in a Christmas shotgun then heading to SD. Son, new gun, and I are heading out tomorrow morning for our last hunt of the year. Hope very one had a great christmas!

What better way to break in a Christmas shotgun then heading to SD. Son, new gun, and I are heading out tomorrow morning for our last hunt of the year. Hope very one had a great christmas!

So you know, we have had an inch of rain and we have ice all over the place. This will probably not be good for pheasants. We will see when it is all over.

Back