Wpg enthusiasts

Live2Birdhunt

So I am considering this breed as my next upland dog. I am a die hard lab guy but this breed has peaked my interest and that too of my wife. Because of the latter I am entertaining this breed. I am looking for honest feedback. It would be most helpful for a WPG owner who has lab experience or has both.

Here is some background on me and the dog's home.

I am an avid pheasant hunter with 4-5 major hunts each year to SD, NE, KS, IA and the TX panhandle. Have some access to decent quail hunting here in TX as well. I have had two black female labs over the past 20 years and both great dogs and very good hunters. My second is now 9 years old and getting close to retirement. I have always believed never change a winning game plan and have already identified my next lab pup, but promised my wife I would research the WPG breed. I have never hunted with a WPG. I have hunted with GSP, Goldens, Gordon Setters, Draathars. Our home is extremely dog friendly. We are volunteers for a local all breed rescue organization. Although we no longer foster (over 100 dogs placed before quitting the fostering) we are still active in support for the organization. This involvement over the years has given us considerable knowledge in all aspects of dog health, training and socialization. We have access to and partake daily of nice open spaces with off leash trails, meadows and water. Our dogs never starve for attention or exercise.

I train my dogs my self. My philosophy is to purchase the best pedigree of true hunters, instill the basics and discipline and let them hunt. I am not interested in trials, hunt test or ribbons. I truly believe that a dog who hunts out of love and not fear will always triumph when given the opportunity and proper instruction.

As you all know this is a huge decision and one I will have to live with for the next dozen or so years. I would appreciate any and all sincere guidance offered?

have never owned or hunted with one......talked with a reputable breeder, these are soft dogs, probably not much for pressure and heavy handed training.......this guys dogs hunt 20-70 yards out, methodical, not likely to be big runners or ground eating machines........FWIW.

Amazing dogs, and a breeder is doing a poor job if he is producing soft dogs, need to quit breeding digs with thise traits. After a life of brits and a lab I got into griffs, best dog decision I ever made. We do everything from early dove and prairie chicken in the wide open, to late season geese on the icy river.

Back