Wooden Dog Box

KansasGsp

Looking at building a dog box, love the looks of a wooden dog box! You guys got any pics of some you would like to share? Thanks in advance

I'd show you mine I built but it's freaking huge! Bet I could fit 3 dogs in each side. It was a rush build. Tried to build it light but my god is it heavy. No problem getting around in the snow and mud though!

Next one will be a ownens kit build. Less than 300 bucks or so they supply the all but the wood. Aluminum front, doors, and caps. Look really nice.

I built one. One word of advice use aluminum for vent hole areas. I drilled 1 /2" holes for vents and my shorthair made them about 3" first trip out. He got mad I took his brother in one field and left him to rest. Also the wood boxes are HEAVY!

I made flip down side doors on mine for warmer weather. On the inside I used expanded metal and overlapped it some so there would be no way they could chew the hole bigger. Cold weather I close the side vents and warm I drop them down.

Last one I built weighed a ton. D66 you have pictures of the vents. I thinking something like this in wood and louvers in the doors. Louvers themselves arent bad on dogbox parts .com.

Capture.jpg

82016453_scaled_395x265.jpg

On each side of mine I cut two squares about 6 inches high by maybe a foot long. Put them on hinges with simple latches to keep them closed and when open they just fall down. On the inside I overlapped the cut out with expanded metal.

I don't have louvers on the doors or any other ventilation. I don't do a bunch of warm weather hunting so didn't want all the ventilation. The other morning it was 17 degrees out on the way hunting and I stopped at a rest area and opened one of the doors and the dogs were nice and toasty. My box is built from 100 percent scrap lumber and parts. Paint is the only thing I didn't have on hand at the time.

My daughters both say it's pretty ghetto but for me and my dogs it gets the job done.

Bro in law built one for each of us. 12 years old now and both could use a cost of paint.

Only pics I have of them in photobucket

I'd like the bigger box also. One, you can put two dogs in one side if needed and two I like to have more room for my labs when they go.

Here are some pics of the box I built a few years ago. I really liked it except it weighed a ton and, like all wood boxes, it had to be replaced. This last year a buddy and I built the aluminum box that is pictured.

Last edited:
My Houndsman deluxe is actually not very heavy at all for a wood box. Matter of fact I can't say that any of the wooden boxes I have owned have been heavy. Unless you build em big enough to old a black bear.

Back