Wisconsin Opener!!

GSP TYler

I was away for training this past weekend for the military. I missed the opener unfortunately. However if anyone would like to share some dog/birds pics I would love to see them!! I hope to have time later this week to make it out and hopefully find a bird or two. Hope everyone limited out this past weekend!

yes one bird. I'm hoping to go a couple of days. I see the other thread now. I usually just look under the Wisconsin Tab. Thanks for pointing it out. I read over it. It seems as though every opening weekend ends up being the same.... BB's flying every direction.

Last edited:
We put up 19 roosters and 12 hens the first 2 day's, it was a much different opener for me as my 2 daughters and wife became interested after watching my son and I tournament hunt last winter.
So I walked part of the time with no gun as my oldest daughter doesn't have her hunters safety yet so it was back to the mentor deal! The good thing was they all got shooting in, got their first wild birds and got to see the dogs work in the field from behind them and not from a gallery, they learned how to read the dog and found out it's not always easy to hit them as there was quite a few shots taken. My youngest daughter (13) got her first rooster on her first shot, pretty sure it didn't work like that for me when I was 12......

Anyway here's my opening day rooster

My youngest daughter (13) got her first rooster on her first shot, pretty sure it didn't work like that for me when I was 12....../QUOTE]

lol. Me neither. Congrats to your daughter:thumbsup:.

It sounds as if you've been bumping some birds. Based on what you've seen this year verses last year would you say the numbers are up or down? That is, if you are hunting the same area(s) as last year.

My youngest daughter (13) got her first rooster on her first shot, pretty sure it didn't work like that for me when I was 12....../QUOTE]

lol. Me neither. Congrats to your daughter:thumbsup:.

It sounds as if you've been bumping some birds. Based on what you've seen this year verses last year would you say the numbers are up or down? That is, if you are hunting the same area(s) as last year.

I honestly don't know what I think about the population, going into Saturday morning I had only seen 1 rooster on the road since turkey season. We hear them all over so I know they are out there somewhere.
We hunt the same areas every year and it always seem to be the same as an entire season goes, some days you work harder than others to get your birds.
I haven't been out again since Sunday but hopefully I'll make it out tonight after work.

glad to hear there are still some wild birds around in the state! Your lucky to live where you do! It's on my bucket list to kill my first wild bird here in wisconsin. Congrats to your daughter! I know i was hooked after my first bird.

glad to hear there are still some wild birds around in the state! Your lucky to live where you do! It's on my bucket list to kill my first wild bird here in wisconsin. Congrats to your daughter! I know i was hooked after my first bird.

If you are in south central WI that won't be too hard. They are out there my friend.;)

Dewey--thanks for the info. Can you do me a favor? Take a couple pics of the pheasants for me and post them plus confirm if they are wild or not? I'm assuming you know how to do that yes?

Nick

If you are in south central WI that won't be too hard. They are out there my friend.;)

Dewey--thanks for the info. Can you do me a favor? Take a couple pics of the pheasants for me and post them plus confirm if they are wild or not? I'm assuming you know how to do that yes?

Nick

I guess I don't know what you're looking for?? I always look to see if there were blinders clipped on at any point and jankie a$$ tail feathers that are all beat up like game farm birds, don't know what else to look for. I'll post a picture of the one I shot tonight

That's the best closeup picture I have

Yeah, that's good. Thank you;) The bird in the photo is a wild bird too?

The past few years I've noticed some changes within the bloodline of wild birds---in some areas within Wisconsin. They're showing Lighter plumage/Manchurian/Chinese traits now. Seems the states pen birds are starting to penetrated the wild bird bloodlines in some areas.

Thanks again:cheers:

Wisconturkey---it's not vital that I know this but out of curiosity, how many years can you remember the birds being of this lighter variation in color and is the habitat isolated from other areas w/wild pheasants?

Nick

I couldn't really answer that I just shoot the things and occasionally check the beak to see if it looks like it was pen raised.

I shot very few pheasants in Wi last year and I've been in Montana since before pheasants opened this year and won't return to Wisconsin until just prior to deer opener. I may not even shoot a Wi pheasant this year.

We hear pheasants all over in the spring while turkey hunting, wouldn't think anyone would be stocking birds when you can't hunt them.

Based on that I assumed we are hunting naturally occurring birds, I do always look at the tails and beaks, also seems these birds we shoot are a bit bigger than game farm birds, maybe look a bit healthier and definitely stronger flyers.

These birds don't hold, they seem to run and zigzag like crazy, then they finally will hold and flush at cover changes, we've had 400+yard trailing jobs this year and the season isn't even a month old.

The rooster I shot opening day we trailed it about 300 yards before it lost its cool
Is this the traits of wild or pen raised birds?

The state doesn't stock birds up there and I've ran into a lot of wild acting birds up there including a lot of hens. With pheasants you just never know though my Dad shot a black on on federal land up there and I'm sure that came from someone's pen.

There are several game farms around, one with a WPA or state land on the other side of the fence, obviously that land is going to have pen birds on it and about every less than serious pheasant hunter goes there and pounds that area. I know they are there but I avoid the obvious and the weekend warriors, I like to get my birds with dog work and miles on my boots (Only exercise I get) lol

Now when it comes to practice, tournaments or getting the kids on some birds without the endless hours and miles of walking for that one shot, I'll pay to play.
Keeps their interest up being new and with the lack of shooting opportunities here in Wisconsin, can't wait to get them to SD!

Thanks for the info guys. Best of luck out there:thumbsup:

Back