Winter is here

Ranger Rick

Blizzard conditions here in the north. Glare ice roads going to work. The body shops will be doing good business today.

Max and I got out in the snow in Vilas County on Saturday to chase some grouse. He pointed two birds in heavy fir cover. I figured with the weather the grouse would be where it's thick and dark. No shooting opportunity in that stuff. But we got out for some exercise.

Next up is preparing for deer season. There were a lot of guys in the woods this weekend, checking on stands, etc.. I'll be putting up my stand on Saturday morning, then getting out to see if we can locate grouse again. It will be my last go at chasing birds this year. It's been a good fall, no regrets, except that we have 10 months to wait until next season.

20" at my place in Vilas Co. 15" in Langlade Co. at the family hunt camp. We'll be ice fishing again this year during deer hunting as the lakes are starting to freeze over. It's nuts!

Deer hunting outside of Elcho, I sit off an old logging trail, on a corner of a swamp ? miles back in off the road. The first half the trail we used to be able to get a 4 wheeler in there to drag out deer. Saturday I strapped my tree stand on my back, along with a small backpack containing some gear and was carrying the climbing sticks, which are clumsy to carry with both hands required. It?s hard to do on level ground. I got 40 yards before being blocked by snow covered deadfalls. Went through the woods to go around, come out of the other side and can?t see 10? down the trail, one deadfall after another blocking my way. Turned around, unloaded the gear and went back in with machete in hand.

Plan B to set up the stand about 150 yards in. I hack my way back to that point, can?t see more than 20? in any direction. Worthless setting up there.

On to Plan C. They clearcut along another old logging trail I used to go in on. Figured I could go back about 300 yards to a little rise and set up there. Just snowshoes and machete this time. Take two steps off the logging road and go up to mid-thigh ? with snowshoes on! Crap! 45 Minutes to get back there. Too much crap in the way to carry my stand there. So on to Plan D, which I haven?t figured out yet. I may sit in my truck. Naw. Wouldn?t be that whimpy, but may go just a short walk down a logging trail and sit 100 yards from the truck.

My youngest brother calls me as I?m coming back out of the woods, sweating and out of breath. I am planning to take Monday off to hunt, but told him I don?t know if my body will be able to handle 3 days in that snow. After talking, ten minutes later he calls me back. ?You crybaby! You?re not bailing out on us because of a little snow!?.

If this is the start to winter, what?s the rest going to be like? Shit! The lakes may not thaw out until June!

You're not alone in that thinking.Some of my favorite wing shooting around here is jump shooting ducks and the colder the better for that.

Less pressure on pheasants too so that's a plus.

You're not alone in that thinking.Some of my favorite wing shooting around here is jump shooting ducks and the colder the better for that.

Less pressure on pheasants too so that's a plus.

Bingo. My favorite time of year. Shot my 2 roosters and then whiffed on two mallards last night.

Back