Winchester Rooster XR shells

They pattern tight , I have patterned them and turkey loads and they are the best I have seen for extened range .

Yes they put birds down really good , main thing is hit'em in front .

Too many people fall victim to the marketing hype of boutique shells (the newest fastest longest range shells) that the ammo companies put out each year. They are expensive and greatly benefit the ammo companies. They would have you think that a new breed of armour plated roosters have evolved and you need their new super duper load to kill them. Get back to basics and don't over think your ammo. I have been hunting Pheasants for 40 years and have never seen a rooster that could not be killed with 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 oz. of hard #6 or #5s at around 1200 FPS.

Too many people fall victim to the marketing hype of boutique shells (the newest fastest longest range shells) that the ammo companies put out each year. They are expensive and greatly benefit the ammo companies. They would have you think that a new breed of armour plated roosters have evolved and you need their new super duper load to kill them. Get back to basics and don't over think your ammo. I have been hunting Pheasants for 40 years and have never seen a rooster that could not be killed with 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 oz. of hard #6 or #5s at around 1200 FPS.

+1 Amen!!!!

+1 here too and please let me add: The problem with these hyped "boutique" shells is that they give the impression that one can effectively shoot and kill pheasants at extended ranges.

The truth is that the majority of pheasants that are shot and retrieved are engaged at distances between about 25 and 35 yards.

Many that are shot at ranges over 40 yards are not recovered if they are knocked down. Many more are injured and fly off when struck by shot at these extended ranges. This is regardless of the ammo type and these birds do not have access to affordable health care.

There is no reason for most any pheasant hunting situations to have the shot held together in a polymer matrix. The disadvantages at close range are many and the advantages at long range are not realistic.

Rooster xr

I'm sure they're great shells and the next best thing, but the vast majority of
the birds that I've bagged are similar to shooting clays. They get up at 16 to 19 yards and are shot at at 28 to 38 yards. The most expensive shells I buy are Federal Heavyweight 7s for my 20 gauge for no tox areas. I once spent $35 on a box of Federal Mag Shok 11/4 oz for my 16 ga. That was a little excessive, in retrospect. I quit shooting at birds beyond 35-40 yards. I'd rather watch them
land and go after them again. They sometimes will hold much tighter the second time you approach them. Not sure why. A pretty basic load of 4s or 5s seems to be enough; 1 1/4 to 1 /3/8 oz or so. Kent or Federals good enough for most birds, as long as you puke it out ahead of them.

Back