Wild Illinois Pheasant Photos From Today

1pheas4

I had an hour to work the dog this afternoon on some wild pheasants here in McHenry County. They're looking good coming out of this winter. The snow is starting to melt and expose some open ground too. Birds are pecking around exposed areas.

Below are 8 photos from this afternoon.

Wild Illinois hen pheasant

Winston locking down on a tight sitting rooster before the flush

Rooster!!! Look close. Can you see him flush? Winston almost caught this rooster. He managed to pull his two center tail feathers out.

There his goes! Center tails missing. I looked but couldn't find them.

Same rooster

If I was 10 yards to the left of this bird I would have had a great photo! This was an OLD bird and one (if hunting) I would have mounted for my wall. Heavy beat to his wings and a very long tail but not a great photo!

Last edited:
Photo post #2--scroll up for the first post w/pics

Another wild Illinois hen pheasant

One last wild hen pheasant

Last edited:
Great photos.

My hunting buddy has started taking ridiculously long shots. Once last year, I took a shot that may have been too long. I am thinking if you can routinely see a rooster at 40 yards, you can get used to a feature that identifies the range. I can see a pheasant's eye at 20 yards. Maybe seeing the beak means it is within 40 yards.

Putting a pheasant mount out in the yard does not seem to be a good idea. Unless I can find a small business that sells a life size, waterproof flying pheasant replica, I will use a photo.

Might ask you if I could use one of your photos. I assume you can get the image on a metal sign.

Putting a pheasant mount out in the yard does not seem to be a good idea. Unless I can find a small business that sells a life size, waterproof flying pheasant replica, I will use a photo.

Might ask you if I could use one of your photos. I assume you can get the image on a metal sign.

Crossing Shot, I may not be following you, sorry:eek: You need a life-size photo? I don't know if this would help but I have a plastic pheasant decoy. It's life-sized and made for the outdoors. Is that something you're looking for?

Nick

Good stuff Nick! McHenry Co eh??

Yeah, this time I was on the southern end of the county:). The section I worked was small. Maybe 6-7 acres. There were about a dozen birds in there. Used to be more, but for whatever reason the land owner didn't leave a food plot in for this winter. I have to talk to him to see what's going on with that.:confused:

Nick

Crossing Shot, I may not be following you, sorry:eek: You need a life-size photo? I don't know if this would help but I have a plastic pheasant decoy. It's life-sized and made for the outdoors. Is that something you're looking for?

Nick

Yes. Looking for a flying plastic rooster. Where did you get it?

Yes. Looking for a flying plastic rooster. Where did you get it?

You know, that's a good question. I Purchased it a few years ago but you can try to Google pheasant decoy and see what comes up. I know they're pretty common now. But again it's a standing decoy. What are you trying to accomplish with it? Nick

Last edited:
My goal is to make good shots. That means not shooting birds over 40 yards away. I will use it for distance training. Know about standing rosters; Sportplast makes them.

It is similar to waterfowl subtending.

Great photo's ! I assume this was private property? Thanks for sharing!

Great photo's ! I assume this was private property? Thanks for sharing!

Yep:). A small slice of CRP. With all the snow melt I'm sure they've moved to higher/dryer ground by now.

Nick

My goal is to make good shots. That means not shooting birds over 40 yards away. I will use it for distance training. Know about standing rosters; Sportplast makes them.

It is similar to waterfowl subtending.

If you're just training your eye (not pulling the trigger on it) you can use a flying pheasant mount. You obviously can't leave a mount outside but I can install an adapter (like one for a broom handle) into a flying mount. That way you can connect a stake/broom handle to it and place it into the ground.

Just an idea;)

Nick

Thanks for your response. Subtending waterfowl is a bad idea. The process includes comparing the size of your bead to the size of the bird. For example, if the bead completely covers the bird, it is too far. Once I look at the bead, all is lost.

The only way I can think of to accurately judge range is to view the range often, like every day. When I am sitting on the back porch, I want to see a rooster forty yards away. When the sun illuminates a crossing rooster sixty yards away, I will not let the good look fool me into pulling the trigger. Leaving a wounded bird in the field ruins my day.

No manufacturer had a reason to market a life size rooster replica. I have two options, a Dokken dead pheasant or a photo. The Dokken needs a cradle and a more realistic painted head.

A photo would be more realistic when looking at it perpendicularly. However, it would be no use to circle the photo to see a going away shot.

Probably do both. The photo will just be the rooster's head.

I have talked to a manufacturer about this. Maybe next year I will have a perfect waterproof, flying rooster to see everyday.

I use a dove decoy to estimate the range of quail. I like it. Never noticed the sex of quail before the shot until I practiced looking at the bird's head everyday.

Thanks for your response. Subtending waterfowl is a bad idea. The process includes comparing the size of your bead to the size of the bird. For example, if the bead completely covers the bird, it is too far. Once I look at the bead, all is lost.

The only way I can think of to accurately judge range is to view the range often, like every day. When I am sitting on the back porch, I want to see a rooster forty yards away. When the sun illuminates a crossing rooster sixty yards away, I will not let the good look fool me into pulling the trigger. Leaving a wounded bird in the field ruins my day.

No manufacturer had a reason to market a life size rooster replica. I have two options, a Dokken dead pheasant or a photo. The Dokken needs a cradle and a more realistic painted head.

A photo would be more realistic when looking at it perpendicularly. However, it would be no use to circle the photo to see a going away shot.

Probably do both. The photo will just be the rooster's head.

I have talked to a manufacturer about this. Maybe next year I will have a perfect waterproof, flying rooster to see everyday.

I use a dove decoy to estimate the range of quail. I like it. Never noticed the sex of quail before the shot until I practiced looking at the bird's head everyday.

Got it. I had this decal on the back of my truck a few years back. If I remember correctly, it was about the size of a "real" pheasant's head http://www.lightningsignsuk.co.uk/pheasant-printed-vinyl-car-van-sticker-decals. Ebay usually has them for sale. Let me know if this won't work.
Nick

Last edited:
This southern Illinois rooster has some markings of the Manchurian ringneck pheasant line (note the white dot just below the eye).
The photo was taken on April 4, 2014, somewhere in southern Illinois. The photographer is from Coulterville.
I hope this is a sign that wild ringneck pheasants are expanding their range southward. Photo below at bottom of page, click on photo to enlarge:
http://walkinwiththewildwoman.blogspot.com/2014/04/still-chasin-birds.html

Last edited:
Thanks Bleu:). I had a friend text me a couple weeks back---he has a nice rooster with 3 hens hanging around his property. As soon as I get some free time I'm going to try to get some photos of the rooster with his spring wattle, trying to impress those hen's. Though at this point they're probably on the nest.:)

Preston, I have to be honest--when I drive through Southern Illinois and even parts of Kentucky I'm left wondering why pheasants haven't taken a strong-hold in those areas:confused:

As you've mentioned, they've taken root in parts of TX. Why not S. IL and Kentucky then:confused: Hopefully some day they'll populate such areas!

Nick

Back