Who let “this” dog out!!!

4shot

Hunting in SD this last weekend with some friends and some guys I was not familiar with. As we were standing getting ready for our first march this guys 80lb was growling and being kinda territorial around the other dog’s. He was asking everyone if it bothered us. I had seen this kinda personality before and really didn’t think much of it. Not that my dogs perfect, I could see that this mans dog was kinda of a handful for him, spent a lot of energy trying to control him. Hunting standing corn I had lost track of my dog after some cocks got up. In my efforts to find him everyone came running to me over concern of my dog. He was laying motionless in a fence row. The man was apologizing over and over how sorry he was. I asked what happened and I thought he was saying he was shot. Shot! How did he get shot? He layed his coat over my dog as if he was dead. How’d he get shot I asked? No he’s in shock. I didn’t see it but that huge crazy lab gave my 45lb setter a hell of a ride. It was nuts. Went from laying motionless to running back to the truck in just a few minutes. Man was very apologetic, and took responsibility, and offered to pay for future damages, taking him to the vet today. I’m always amazed how the Lord likes to teach me grace and patience sometimes. Going forward I’m now going to be more cautious, be straight up with people that they understand the potential consequences, maybe not even hunt the dogs at the same time. I would love to hear how you guys address aggressive dogs or even caution someone that has one. For those who never let bad things happen cause your so wise I commend you. Lol. Later that weekend Murf did do a retrieve with other lab dogs around him. He’s not a super strong retriever around other dogs but I at least don’t think he’s scared because of the fight.

I have nothing to add to that, except I am glad your dog seems to be OK. I just don't hunt with many different people (or dogs). My former GSP had about zero agression in him, I never had to worry about him starting anything with people or dogs. Best temperment I could ask for, he just wanted to hunt. Hope my new one is similar, but too early to tell...thinking the new pup has more attitude at this point. Hope you have no problems from that experience.

I have hunted with a few aggressive dogs over the years. They all had something in common: they were males and they weren't neutered. I hunt with a mellow spayed female lab with zero aggression towards other dogs, so those other dogs would steal birds when my lab was trying to retrieve one. Naturally, she would back off and the other dog would pick it up and then chew it to bits.

Those guys didn't get invited to hunt again. I was the one who had all the permission and took it upon myself to invite them. One of them asked to come again and I said "you can come, but your dog isn't welcome." He blew a fuse. That was the end of that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather hunt without a dog than hunt with a poorly trained or aggressive one. Its like the owners can't even see that their own dogs are aggressive, don't listen, and chew up birds. They think their dogs work just fine but in reality they ruin hunts.

Damn, glad he's ok. My opinion is if a dogs aggressive in the field he doesn't hunt enough, dogs that really love hunting dont worry about fighting. Folks are sometimes worried about Benny cause he's so big but he only has one mean bone in his body and he saves it for the lady's.

One, I’m fortunate that anymore I rarely hunt with people/dogs I don’t know well. It happens occasionally though.

If I do end up in a situation similar to what you described and the dog is real aggressive pre-hunt I’ll just leave mine in the truck, make my excuses after the first field and go hunt on my own or with my buddies that are likely feeling the same way.

A seriously aggressive dog of any breed shouldn’t be in the field with other dogs. A _responsible_ owner should only hunt that dog by itself. IMO of course.

In general when hunting with a new group or new dogs, which is rare for me, I like to get to the hunt early, park away from the cover where you can make a bit of noise, and allow the dogs to run around, socialize, familiarize, burn off some initial energy. Then when we get to the field they are used to each other and can actually hunt rather than waste hunting time chasing tail for a bit.

After reading this the thought that came to mind.
Socialize your puppies that first year as much as you can. You'll be able to tell if you have an aggressive dog and can nip it in the bud before it becomes habitual.

I hunt with spayed female yellow labs. Zero aggression. They are there to hunt. Like others, the few times I have hunted with other hunters/dogs the problems came with intact male dogs. That is up to the owners but now I just leave if I come across that situation. Not worth the stress and vet bills.

I really like the idea of letting the dogs get to know each other for just a few minutes before you march through cover. Twice I took my golden retriever female hunting buddy with dogs she didn't know. The first time was with an older lab (not sure if he's intact or not). We let the dogs meet first, and eventually the lab let out a loud growl as the golden was a little too playful for the old guy. That was the end of it, and the dogs hunted together great the entire trip. The second time was with my uncle's female lab, on his property. I made sure my uncle was there when I let the golden out of the truck for their first meeting. His dogs hackles went straight up and there was a little bit of posturing, but everything was fine and the dogs hunted great together. In both cases I was ready for the possibility that the dogs might not get along and in that case I would hunt alone and no big deal.

I think you may be right about the intact male dogs. A friend I hunt with always has two or three Springers. The youngest one (maybe 3 yrs old) is getting aggressive with the others, all males, this year. I witnessed it attack his oldest (deaf and partly blind) Springer this year after a long day of hunting. It's unfortunate because he is a really good hunter.

Jerry

I had a couple of shorthairs years back that were aggressive with each other. Mother/pup... The final straw was a fight in the field about a mile from the truck. After finally getting them apart and hiking back I promptly got rid of one. My experience is once they fight a time or two they always will.

My little female I have now is a bit snippy when she meets a new one but not really aggressive. I've had more issues with female/female aggression than with males.

Going forward I’m now going to be more cautious, be straight up with people that they understand the potential consequences, maybe not even hunt the dogs at the same time. I would love to hear how you guys address aggressive dogs or even caution someone that has one. For those who never let bad things happen cause your so wise I commend you. Lol.
This!!! I would not even consider letting my dog hunt with another dog that showed any signs of aggression (towards me or my dog) prior to the hunt. I'd part ways and finish out the hunt solo somewhere else.

I think you may be right about the intact male dogs. A friend I hunt with always has two or three Springers. The youngest one (maybe 3 yrs old) is getting aggressive with the others, all males, this year. I witnessed it attack his oldest (deaf and partly blind) Springer this year after a long day of hunting. It's unfortunate because he is a really good hunter.

Jerry
My GSP male is intact and has a great demeanor, similar to @remy3424.
I believe it is due to socialization, training, and desire to hunt.

I have a male yellow lab that was intact for his first 7 years, he sired 8 litters in that time. He has the nicest demeanor of any lab I have ever seen, so nice that I have never even heard or seen him growl at another dog or person. He has never met a person or other dog he didn't like. Breeding and socialization is key in my opinion.

All of my groups dogs are all business in the field. No playing and no fighting. That would not be tolerated. Not even out of the field. Luckily I've never seen it.

I had a couple of shorthairs years back that were aggressive with each other. Mother/pup... The final straw was a fight in the field about a mile from the truck. After finally getting them apart and hiking back I promptly got rid of one. My experience is once they fight a time or two they always will.

My little female I have now is a bit snippy when she meets a new one but not really aggressive. I've had more issues with female/female aggression than with males.
You got rid of a dog? Thumbs down.

yea I sold one of my dogs. After several vicious fights and one in the field I got rid of one. One fight almost killed the other one. You and anyone else with any sense would have too. I’m not talking about two dogs scrapping a little. I’m talking about going at it for death. If you haven’t experienced it then you have no idea. It’s extremely difficult to break up and not worth it.

Its very difficult to tell someone that the dog they've trained is not welcome. I struggled with how to approach that more than once with trusted friends that I hunt with. I finally just told them straight to their face the issue and a couple of them accepted it. As I previously stated, one of them completely lost it and went berserk. Nowadays I simply avoid it all together and just hunt with my own dog.

I'm going to agree with some of the others that intact males are not the problem, it's the proper socialization as a puppy and throughout their life. I have a 10 year old intact male lab who has never shown a sign of aggression towards another dog, person, child, etc. However at age 10 he still has his annoying off the wall puppy energy, heck of a hunter but a bit annoying in the house. Which a lot of that is my problem for letting him get away with it when younger.

Back