Where to get homing pigeons

HUNTIN4FUN

I posted this in another section on the forum but thought maybe it would get more attention/interest here. I'm in need of some homing pigeons in the near future, does anyone know where I can purchase some. If I have to go the catching route how does one go about catching them. I know too that adult birds are hard to get to relocate and I will most likely lose some due to them not returning after giving them ample time to readjust to their new home.

Most trainers use pigeons for retrieving work, sometimes for sight pointing pups, to use a showy bird for pups to hone in on. My opinion is, use quail, we actually hunt quail with pointing dogs, where as pointing pigeons is a non-starter. Now retrieving dogs, a durable pigeon can have advantages. If you trap them, with a simple, wire, inexpensive pigeon trap, will work. Almost all pigeons will rehome, you will lose some, here or there, but once they nest in your nest boxes, they are putting down stakes permanently. You will have to "train the birds", before you train the dogs. Find a barn loft or a cleared off space where they gather, use wheat, as a lure. Topeka rail yards had a scad of them when I was through last week. Any areas near railroad and grain bins. Lots of times kids trap them, to sell. You can probably buy them from a racer, he will sell you slower birds. Might not get specific about what you have planned for them! Check out Craig's list. As I said, I abandoned pigeons and went straight on quail 40 years ago. I discount the idea that using quail will make it more difficult to overcome mistakes in training. I think we spend to much effort at assuming the dog's psychology, and underestimating the intelligence of the pupil! Pigeons are filthy by the way, and require more care and more groceries! A lot trainers still swear by them. Good Luck, tell us your experiences.

I have a different take. Pigeons are a good bird to train pointing dogs with.
They are strong flyers, and a dog will smell them from a long way off.
You get a lot of the early work done with the pigeons, then move to the quail to finish things off.

Thanks for the input guys. While I see both sides to this I want pigeons for their durability and their almost renewable qualities. In the long run they are cheaper to have than quail. I will use both but in the earlier stages I'm looking for pigeons. I will train with them as well as whatever other birds are available ie quail,chukar once the dog is handling a bit better. I mainly want pigeons to work on steadiness and that isn't something I wish to do with game birds. When it comes time for the shot/retrieve I will use the other birds of the non renewable resource kind. I have multiple dogs and I don't like the idea of having to buy quail or chukar every time I want to fill their noses with bird and work on things with them. Thanks again for the replies.

Back