Wheat Harvest

Been rolling for about 2 weeks. You can sign up for daily updates from the Kansas Wheat Commission. Here's today's:

Oddly enough, they never mention chick or hen sightings. :unsure: But I read them anyway because I like to know what yields are like and where they mention hail damage and delays due to rain, etc.

Surprised, but I drove by a couple wheat fields in central Minn. and they're about 80% really for harvest. Usually wheat around here ripens the 2-3rd week of July...3 weeks early this year. And with all the rain we've received?

My neighbor who does custom farming cut over 1500 acres and saw a total of four pheasants. Saw more coyotes than pheasants.

I think I might be turning a corner with Kansas. I’m really on the fence about spending my money elsewhere. Been going there since the 90’s, many great hunts but the last few years have been hard. I just don’t feel like the state gives a rats a$$ about a great natural resource they have. The loss of wiha I’ve seen these last two years ( and great decline of birds)might be the straw that breaks the camels back. We’ll see come season…

Central Minn, most all the wheat has been harvested. Four/five weeks until early waterfowl hunting starts. Yup, time to get the boots and chaps out and conditioned...checking all the gear. Notice the sun setting earlier? Some cooler nights, now. Just around the corner, now. Yes, sir!

Getting light a lot later in the mornings too, losing daylight on each end, but that has to happen to get to the opener! As dry as we are locally, guessing it will be an earlier harvest here.

I think I might be turning a corner with Kansas. I’m really on the fence about spending my money elsewhere. Been going there since the 90’s, many great hunts but the last few years have been hard. I just don’t feel like the state gives a rats a$$ about a great natural resource they have. The loss of wiha I’ve seen these last two years ( and great decline of birds)might be the straw that breaks the camels back. We’ll see come season…
no doubt, weather, reduced CRP acreage, grazing, time to move on and leave KS in the dust. fond memories though.

no doubt, weather, reduced CRP acreage, grazing, time to move on and leave KS in the dust. fond memories though.
They have cut all grass available here this summer. I live here and I don't know where I will even hunt. I have permission for thousands of acres in 3 counties around where I live and well over 75% of it is gone. Combined with the heat and drought, it will be horrible for years to come.

They have cut all grass available here this summer. I live here and I don't know where I will even hunt. I have permission for thousands of acres in 3 counties around where I live and well over 75% of it is gone. Combined with the heat and drought, it will be horrible for years to come.
That is depressing. A few good seasons back-to-back and they can make a great come-back. We need a few above average wet summers to eliminate this grazing/haying of the CRP and to keep machinery out of the tradition wet spots. I hope things change for your area.

That is depressing. A few good seasons back-to-back and they can make a great come-back. We need a few above average wet summers to eliminate this grazing/haying of the CRP and to keep machinery out of the tradition wet spots. I hope things change for your area.
That's what I said the last time this happened (2011-12?). We had some pretty favorable years since then, at least as far as weather goes, but the birds never fully rebounded. Loss of CRP and ever-more-intensive farming practices have produced a landscape with much less potential to support wild bird production. Farmers have to make a living and people have to be fed, so I'm not bashing anyone. If I made my living farming, I'd probably be doing it the same way it's now done. I just hope that some day we can find productive farming practices that leave some space for the birds.

It takes a true sportsman (pheasant fanatic) to leave some arces back these days, look for them at the PF banquits. Our local chapters will provide the labor and likely the seed to make it happen if needed. If there is no rain, that is a problem all of it's own. High commodity prices and pheasant numbers are usually an inverse relationship, this drought is the nail the the coffin.

The undeniable fact that pheasant populations never recovered from the drought a decade ago (though quail sure did), certainly makes me pessimistic. Every year it was some totally uncontrollable reason for declines: too hot, to wet, to dry, hail, timing of rains, ice, whatever. Iowa's recovery over the last 3 or 4 years makes me feel optimistic, though. Iowa pheasant hunting in its heyday was better than Kansas ever was, and it's worst years were worse than Kansas has ever been (so far).

Hopefully the peak summer heat and humidity is behind us now. The upcoming week sure looks nice. Highs in the upper 70's? I'll take it. Even some more consistent rain lately too.
Yes, I noticed rain pattern for this coming week...and some nights down into the fifties! I think hunters call this the "checking gear moon". LOL

I haven't paid much attention to the longer term weather forecast, but I sure hope the modest rain chances for tomorrow and wednesday turn out right.

Normally on August 15 I'm rooting against rain because I want a nice wide stretch of mud between the grass and the water on my dove pond, and to limit alternative water sources in the roadside ditches and sheet water in the fields. This year my dove pond is dry and there's weeds growing out in what would be the deepest part. The weeds are good for pheasants, but I'm going to have to make adjustments to my dove hunting plans.

20 bushel wheat was fantastic in western Nebraska this year and there was a lot that didn’t get cut because the kernels were so small and light they went out the back of the combine. Most of what they cut was so short it won’t provide any cover and they opened CRP to haying and grazing. I’m not hopeful for the year but I did have 0.75” of rain last night and it’s much cooler today.

Back