whats it really look like out there?

Ok, fellas. Everyone I talk to in Montana FWP is saying there are no birds when they hunt, when someone will talk on the phone to you. I can't tell if they just don't know or don't want to help. Either way FWP ain't helping.

Whats the field assessment especially region 5 and 7?

Everybody is lying. Go on out there. Check it out.
I have.

All other states are down 50-70%
So why do You expect miracles in Montana?

I have said, after a LOT of scouting, Upland birds including pheasants are down at least 50%.

SORRY! it's a fact.

Ok, fellas. Everyone I talk to in Montana FWP is saying there are no birds when they hunt, when someone will talk on the phone to you. I can't tell if they just don't know or don't want to help. Either way FWP ain't helping.

Whats the field assessment especially region 5 and 7?

I will be heading up that way in about a week, I have family up near Saco,Mt and what the FWP people and the other guy on here are telling you is just the opposite of what I am hearing from my brother -in-law. Until I see for myself next week, I will put more stock into what people who actually live in the area have to say then fwp folks or someone from out of the area.

Well, when Region 7 BLM tells you to go to 5, 5 FWP tells you to go to 4, 4 tells you to go to 6....one gets the feeling one is either a- jerked around or b- no government types actually know.

One wildlife tech today stated where he saw 200 grouse last year there were none. Really? The next says its quite lush so they are just scattered, he thinks.

Thus I turn to hunters who might actually know, having spent time in the field.

Last edited:
Saco is in the Milk River Country.
I found, where there is heavy cover, the pheasants are doing better.
Milk River Valley has irrigation and heavy cover.
There was also a lot of Spring, early Summer flooding.
Find a pocket of birds, have some good hunting. :thumbsup:

I did not hunt your region I was in the east close to ND. I saw about the same amount of pheasants as last year and less grouse but more Huns. I was there 3 weeks. There are birds and I saw them every day. Last year I saw more. I thought hunting pressure was up as I saw more hunters than ever before. Talking to people who don't hunt and I always get there are lots of birds, landowners always say there are a lot and they are telling the truth but a lot to them could mean they saw a couple on the road. I think in certain spots it may be better than others and you have to get out there and look. I would go for sure you should see birds.
mm

Thanks for the feedback. We are spending a few days in Miles City, a few in Billings, and then leaving the rest of the week open to travel wherever the wind takes us. Leaning heavily towards the corners you describe mnmt.
It is sounding more and more like Region 5 is in a world of hurt?

I've been out several times and I've seen birds. I haven't seen any pheasants, but I've only been hunting spots with grouse/huns so far. I wouldn't say region 5 is "hurting", but it's not as good as it was several years ago. Last year was pretty rough here in the Billings area, so I'm hoping this year will be better. Little over a week to go til the pheasant opener!

Back