What type of gun do you prefer, auto, double barrel, pump, etc?

Bearded Beast

What type of gun do you prefer, auto, double barrel, pump, etc? Just wondering what type on gun you guys prefer for hunting phesant.

I can never make up my mind, I love my 1100, but you cant go wrong with a 870 either! Im no help lol

I can't make up my mind either. I go from SxS's to autos (A5 Sweet Sixteen) to pumps (870 Wingmaster) to single shot H&R's - depending on what I feel like that day.

Only thing I do, is on my repeaters, I'll only load 3 shells max - I've found that if I miss on the first one, I can sometimes make it up with the 2nd but usually after that I'm just pumping rounds into the sky. If I limit my shots to 3, to someone hearing my shooting, it sounds like I finally connected. If I fire all 5, I notice that people tend to head over to my area looking for the bird I missed. Gives me better odds on being able to re-flush.

I am strictly a 20 gauge O/U man. I have been shooting them for around 10 years now. I find if I can't get the bird in 2 shots I never will. My buddies claim 1 shot dead bird. 2 shots good chance the bird won. What I really love about the 2 barrels is each can be choked differently. One for close shooting the other for farther out. Mix your shells a bit and you can make some very deadly combo's........Bob

There are few things in life that can rival the beauty and simplicity of a good double gun.

A Pictures worth a thousand words !
P4200125.jpg

16 Bore!

I am strictly a 20 gauge O/U man. I have been shooting them for around 10 years now. I find if I can't get the bird in 2 shots I never will. My buddies claim 1 shot dead bird. 2 shots good chance the bird won. What I really love about the 2 barrels is each can be choked differently. One for close shooting the other for farther out. Mix your shells a bit and you can make some very deadly combo's........Bob

I've got to agree with bobeyerite. I can do everything with a 20 ga that I want to do. At one time or another I've owned hump-back autos, gas autos, side and bottom ejecting pumps, 12, 28 and .410s, and recently (still own it) a really slick SKB SxS.

I still shoot my pair of 20 ga Win 101s better than anything else. They could just as well be Brownings or Berettas.

Different strokes for different folks.

Anyone want an as new SKB 385 20 ga? It's English stock, 26" barrels, auto ejectors, barrel selector on trigger, 3" chambers, five choke tubes. Absolutely unmarked as new, hard case. I've got $2K in it. $1600 and I'll pay shipping to your FFL in 48 states.

Damn, wish I had an extra $1,600 laying around as that is one sweet looking SKB.

Back to the original question: I shot a pump (Win. Mod. 12 and Rem 870) for nearly 30 years and have been shooting an auto (Rem 11-87 and Benelli Monte) since 1987. But earlier this year I bought a Citori White Lightning in 16 ga. and can't put it down. My Monte is just sitting in the gun case and I love that gun. I feel bad about it and took it out on a couple of hunts recently but it just didn't feel like the Citori. The Citori will probably be the only gun I use the rest of the season.

Ah yes, the nostalgia of a good SXS or O/U. Of course some of us realize that there has been some advancements in the last 200 years in shotgun design and that there are now much better tools for the job and shoot an auto. ;) There, that should start a proper fight.

The wonderful thing about the O/U is that the Game Wardens leave you alone when they see them. The poor folks with the Semi's and Pump guns get all the attention. Since I bought my Winchester select in Jan of 08 I have to wait until 2011 to get my next shotgun, my wife was not pleased when I told her about my investment...

It still all comes down to a few basic facts. Which gun do you prefer and can afford? Which gun do you shoot the best with? Which guns feels like it is part you? As YOU see it is all up to YOU. There is no real fight here, no type is better than the other, it is just up to the user/buyer to decide......Bob

I like em all. I have taken birds this year with a SxS, OU, and semiauto. At the moment I don't have a working pump in my rotation (got a broken one!), but for years I happily shot birds with my pumps. One of the many joys of hunting for me is taking birds with different shotguns as the situation or mood calls.

Ah yes, the nostalgia of a good SXS or O/U. Of course some of us realize that there has been some advancements in the last 200 years in shotgun design and that there are now much better tools for the job and shoot an auto. ;) There, that should start a proper fight.
One day you shall understand the zen of the double-gun... grasshopper. ;)

The wonderful thing about the O/U is that the Game Wardens leave you alone when they see them. The poor folks with the Semi's and Pump guns get all the attention. Since I bought my Winchester select in Jan of 08 I have to wait until 2011 to get my next shotgun, my wife was not pleased when I told her about my investment...

A friend and I were shooting doves one year when the game warden stopped to check us. He looked at my friend's license, counted his birds and then asked to check his gun. Friend broke open his Rem 3200 OU and handed it to the warden. The warden counted..."one...two...okay, you're legal."

It's the truth.

A friend and I were shooting doves one year when the game warden stopped to check us. He looked at my friend's license, counted his birds and then asked to check his gun. Friend broke open his Rem 3200 OU and handed it to the warden. The warden counted..."one...two...okay, you're legal."

It's the truth.

Wow that is awsome, I guess he must be an equal opportunity guy. I was talking to a warden in the parking lot, and we were just shooting the breeze. When another hunter about a hundred yards away kicked up a bird, we heard the boom, boom, boom.....boom. Well the warden's ears perked up and a nice grin was on a his face because he just found a winner.

12 ga CZ Redhead Deluxe O/U
I like it a lot-mainly because it's never failed to go boom when I pull the trigger. I'm easy to please

Back