What Parasite is this?

1pheas4

Has anyone ever seen this particular parasite before:confused: This is the first one (like this) I've seen. They were just below (2 dozen or so) the surface of this Mallard's muscle tissue on his breast, throat, and wing muscles.

They almost look like maggots without the maggot head. This bird was shot down south by a client earlier in the season. Other than the worms, he looked very healthy, had plenty of fat, feathers were all in order, and would be aged around 4 to 5 years old.

Also, he had a 3 to 4 inch (white) parasite encircled around his rear/vent. Maybe the host/adult:confused: (I didn't take a picture of the 3 to 4 inch parasite)

White "maggot" looking worms under Mallard duck muscle tissue
picture.php

Parasite at the tip/blade
picture.php

Last edited:
Looks like Rice Breast to me!! Sarcocystis

Sarcocystis
Rice Breast Disease In Waterfowl A publication of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Introduction
When hunters notice an abnormality or apparent disease in wild game they are preparing for consumption, they naturally have questions regarding their observation – particularly how it might affect their own health or the health of people consuming the meat.
Sarcocystis, which causes very prominent changes in the breast muscles of waterfowl, is one such disease. Wildlife managers are frequently asked about this disease and the risks associated with handling or eating affected birds. This leaflet will answer the most commonly asked questions about Sarcocystis in waterfowl.
What is it?
Sarcocystis is a parasitic infection caused by a protozoan (single-celled organism). Some species of Sarcocystis can cause illness in certain animals. However, waterfowl affected with this disease usually do not look or act sick and generally the disease is not fatal. Occasionally, severe infections may cause muscle loss with resultant lameness or weakness. Such affected birds may be more susceptible to predation.
Other names for sarcocystis include rice breast disease, rice belly disease, sarcocystosis, and sarcosporidiosis. The most common protozoan infecting waterfowl is Sarcocystis rileyi.
How do I know if my duck has this disease?
You won't usually see external evidence of sarcocystis infection. However, once you skin the bird, you can easily recognize the visible form of the disease – you will see cream-colored cylindrical cysts running in parallel lines throughout the muscles.
Since cysts are located in muscles, hunters who pluck birds without viewing the meat may miss the disease. Because these cysts resemble rice grains, sarcocystis is commonly called "Rice Breast Disease." The cysts usually occur throughout the skeletal muscles in the breast and thighs, but may also occur in the heart or smooth muscle of the digestive tract. Deposits of minerals around the cysts enhance their visibility and may feel gritty when you cut the muscle with a knife.
Sarcocystis appears to take time to develop visible cysts, and the disease is rarely seen in juvenile birds. In years of poor waterfowl production, hunters may bag more adult ducks and thus be more likely to notice infected birds.
A microscopic form of the disease, which produces no visible evidence of infection, can occur with some species of Sarcocystis. It is more common in non-waterfowl species and certain species of waterfowl.
What animals are affected?
A wide variety of birds, mammals and reptiles can contract Sarcocystis. Among waterfowl, dabbling ducks (mallard, pintail, shoveler, teal, black duck, gadwall and widgeon) are the species most commonly affected with the visible form of the disease. Diving ducks are only occasionally affected. The microscopic forms of the infection occur frequently in snow geese, Canada geese, and a variety of duck species.
Wild hoofstock (e.g. elk, deer) are commonly infected with other species of Sarcocystis. Domestic animals and livestock can be infected, but treatment and removal or isolation of infected animals usually keeps prevalence low.
How do they get it?
Waterfowl and other animals become infected with sarcocystis by ingesting the eggs of the parasite in food or water. The parasite requires a primary host (carnivore0 and a secondary host (waterfowl and other herbivorous animals) to complete it's life cycle.
In the primary host's intestine, the parasite matures and produces microscopic eggs. The eggs pass out in the carnivore's feces, contaminating the environment. Waterfowl ingest the eggs while feeding. When the eggs hatch, the parasites move through body tissues to the skeletal muscles where they form cysts. The cycle is completed when a carnivore consumes prey infected with sarcocystis.
We don't know a lot about the life cycles of most species of Sarcocystis. At present it appears that each type of Sarcocystis prefers specific primary and secondary hosts. This means that different carnivores are involved in the infection of different waterfowl, and may explain why only certain species of waterfowl are infected in some areas.
Can it be controlled?
No methods currently available will control the disease in wild waterfowl, nor do we see a need for control, since sarcocystis rarely kills waterfowl directly. To control the parasite, we would have to interrupt its life cycle, which would require a thorough understanding of specific carnivore/waterfowl species interactions. This information, and the development of control measures, would be more useful in captive waterfowl.
Is Sarcocystis a threat to me or my animals?
Sarcocystis found in waterfowl presents no known hazard to humans ands is not known to be transmitted to humans. Proper cooking destroys all forms of the parasite; however, hunters usually discard unappetizing carcasses containing large visible cysts. Other species of Sarcocystis (S. hominis, S. porcihominus) infect cattle and pigs, respectively, and can be transmitted to humans who eat undercooked meat. Dogs can be the primary host for at least seven species of Sarcocystis, with elk, mule deer, cattle, horses, pigs and sheep acting as secondary hosts; but infection does not cause disease in dogs or other domestic animals. Sarcocystis species commonly found in waterfowl have not been shown to infect dogs or other domestic animals. However, because dogs are susceptible to at least some species of Sarcocystis, we don't recommend feeding uncooked infected waterfowl to domestic animals. Remember, if you cook the meat, you kill the parasite.
NOTE: This paper was produced by the National Wildlife Health Research Center, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in cooperation with the University of Wisconsin-Cooperative Extension.
Authors:
Thomas J. Rolfe, D.V.M., Ph.D., is supervisory veterinary medical officer with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Wildlife Health Research Center, Madison, Wis.
Scott Craven is professor of wildlife ecology, College of Agricultural and Life sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison; and University of Wisconsin-Extension, Cooperative Extension.

I shot a gadwall this fall that had so many you couldn't hardly see the breast. Looked pretty sick.

I'm glad I skin all my ducks. :eek:
Haven't seen it in ducks. Have shot some Ruffs with worms.

Looks like Rice Breast to me!! Sarcocystis

Sarcocystis
Rice Breast Disease In Waterfowl A publication of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Thanks for your post BleuB.;)

I think I'll find a way to lift and look under the skin of plucked birds from here on out. After seeing those worms I couldn't help but to wonder if I've consumed them in the past:eek: The worst part is wild game is best under-cooked. This could make things interesting:rolleyes:

wow and now you know why i give all of my 3 or 4 pheasants ive killed this year away eew boy thats good eatn there lol

Your birds just have lead worms and are already tenderized!! Keep me in mind on the great pheasant give away!!!! LOL!!:cheers:

I found those in a roasted mallard a few years go. It was roasted quite rare, just now I like it, and I saw them immediatly and clearly when I carved the bird. In the more cooked outer layer of mean they were firmed up and cooked quite white, so very easy to see. In the rare middle of the meat they were as shown in the picture. Anyways, point being that I would not worry about eating them by mistake in a roasted bird - you'll see them. The real pain was that we were all set to sit down and eat a nice meal and then all we had was rice and veggies! Lesson learned - keep a pack of hot-dogs on-hand! lol!
-Croc

wow and now you know why i give all of my 3 or 4 pheasants ive killed this year away eew boy thats good eatn there lol

Being as your a 'bama lover like you are, I figured pheasant would be a couple solid clicks above the typical stuff you would eat. Like roadkill opossum, squirrel or coon. Your tastebuds just aren't are refined as ours. BTW I had some good lengua and tripe tacos today. Mmmmm good

I found those in a roasted mallard a few years go. It was roasted quite rare, just now I like it, and I saw them immediatly and clearly when I carved the bird. In the more cooked outer layer of mean they were firmed up and cooked quite white, so very easy to see. In the rare middle of the meat they were as shown in the picture. Anyways, point being that I would not worry about eating them by mistake in a roasted bird - you'll see them. The real pain was that we were all set to sit down and eat a nice meal and then all we had was rice and veggies! Lesson learned - keep a pack of hot-dogs on-hand! lol!
-Croc

Oh &$%^ i just threw up in my mouth im not pulling this thread up again did i tell you carp i have a weak stomach wow this thread is disgusting!!!!!!

Being as your a 'bama lover like you are, I figured pheasant would be a couple solid clicks above the typical stuff you would eat. Like roadkill opossum, squirrel or coon. Your tastebuds just aren't are refined as ours. BTW I had some good lengua and tripe tacos today. Mmmmm good

Mmmm, got to love a good tripitas or lengua taco. We cook a cow head every year at work and a few of us fight over the cesos (brain). Cow heads a re delicious! :10sign:

Mmmm, got to love a good tripitas or lengua taco. We cook a cow head every year at work and a few of us fight over the cesos (brain). Cow heads a re delicious! :10sign:

The next time I come across someone cooking lamb or cow head I'm all in. My brother tried lamb brains a few years back and said it was very good. Just have to get over the mental part of it (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one fellas):rolleyes:

There's some good eating out there that most of us wouldn't touch let alone eat. The other day, and for the first time, I made fish soup using a salmon's head . Man was that thing good. Best part of the fish in my opinion. :)

Back