What kind of heat to you have in your home?

onpoint

We use wood for our main source with LP forced air for back up that's rarely used. LP water heater, kitchen range and dryer.

How about at your house?

Gas forced air HVAC unit and gas hot water heater. Kansas has gobs of gas.

Wood fireplace and forced air.
Electric forced air back up, hardly ever kicks in.
I cut about 15 cords a year. Dead trees cut and stacked in the woodshed a year ahead. Great wood cutting right now, no snow, cool temps not cold.
I'm cutting a batch almost daily, dang good exercise.:)

2 years ago we used $1560.00 of propane in the central heat system-

since then I bought 3 of those oil filled radiators at Walmart- don't even have the central heat system hooked up- stove and hot water heater is the only thing on propane- very costly out here

yeh- we have lots of gas- but no lines

Fuel oil and hot water radiators in an old farm house. New windows and blown-in insulation made a huge difference...from a wind-tunnel to a snug abode.

Years ago, heated with wood in a single stove. Dirty heat, but like having another person in the house. No warmth like that from a wood-burner after you come in from the cold and snow. :)

He who cuts his own firewood is twice warmed. :cheers:

Gas heat, but I put in a wood fireplace. Wife didn't understand why I would want the thing...dirty and all..

Now that IS the place that EVERYONE gathers in the winter.

Wood stove for main source of heat.Electric baseboard heaters which haven't been used in 25 yrs..Electric stove.Cut and split 15/20 cord of wood a year depending on how summer and fall looks.

built an outside wood burning stove. Used it for 4 years got old cutting wood seemed it was all I did summer and fall on weekends. Put in a heat pump with a 15kw pletum heater and a propane furance 98% eff. Old farm house no remodel needs windows. but this is cheap heat. Gas dryer. heat pump and water heater at 5 cents a kilowatt. for the month of Nov the heat pump and water heater cost $47.09 to run. haven't run propane yet.

'Lectric forced-air & a well-insulated house, but it's fairly inexpensive out here & the T-stat never gets above 67. Used firewood in MT back in the day, but gathering it was a much-closer proposition than it is out here in the high desert of SE WA. Now if burning dust or tumbleweeds were an option, I'd be in fat-city . . .

It's warm, oh, wait a minute. High efficiency, forced air, natural gas. Don't have the time for wood.

All you wood guys, do me a favor and make sure you season the wood and keep those chimneys clean. As well keep it clean around the wood furnaces and fireplaces. I have spent enough years in the business to see stuff that keeps me up at night.

As an insurance guy I see too many people get complacent with their wood heat and not keep up the maintenance. Just because it hasn't burned yet doesn't mean that it won't. Unfortunately I end up writing too many checks to replace homes and belongings because of it. Remember, no one wins if the house burns down!

Back