What is a visit from the biologist like?

Bob Peters

For those who have had a biologist come out and eyeball your land, I'm wondering how the whole thing works. I realize that some of the PF farm bill biologists probably have a vested interest in finding choice properties to be enrolled in CRP and also in working on "precision ag" on private land. Will they come out and assess acres already enrolled in CRP type programs and give advice on land management? Is there any fee associated? I'm just curious on those who have interactions with either a State, USDA, or PF biologist and if you think it was worth it or any other info you can share on discussions you've had with them.

I am just starting down this road with a State biologist in SD. Currently in CRP and reached out to ask him for ideas to improve the property for pheasant hunting. He is going to go look at it and will see where it goes from there. Maybe limited on options until current contract is over but will see what he says.

I waited 3 months for one to give me a plan for only 20 acers that I pulled out of production and put some in a filter strip. A 6-year-old could have done a better job! It was pathetic! Then a year later I mentioned that I had done some spot spraying while I was in the F.S.A. office and was scolded for it! While at the same time across the road the big farmer had disced down a hillside, then we got a 4-inch rain! There was 6 inches of silt in the creek bottoms! I hope you have a better experience!

It will provide what you ask for unless you run into a problem child like birddude! Write down what you want from the review. Ask pertinent questions. Don't be bashful. Ask that he include the adjacent habitat as part of his/her evaluation so you are not wasting money adding what is already provided. Let them know what your knowledge level is and what you want to focus on species wise. You may have to also let them know what your budget looks like going forward.

It will provide what you ask for unless you run into a problem child like birddude! Write down what you want from the review. Ask pertinent questions. Don't be bashful. Ask that he include the adjacent habitat as part of his/her evaluation so you are not wasting money adding what is already provided. Let them know what your knowledge level is and what you want to focus on species wise. You may have to also let them know what your budget looks like going forward.
:censored:

Please give it some consideration. As with any profession we have Biologists that are both new and seasoned but all are extremely knowledgeable and have a passion for helping to create and improve wildlife habitat. The centerpiece of the discussion are your goals for the property and then we work from there. We will also pull in partner organizations to help with both technical and financial aspects of the project. The review is always free of charge; your license dollars at work. You can find your local Wildlife Biologist at this link: Private Landowner Assistance

Back