What do you use for healing foot pads?

I spray the pads down with tough-skin before you cut em lose. Just make sure they are clean of dirt before you spray em. And then let them hang out on the tailgate for about 15 seconds to let it dry before you let them down. The same stuff I use to spray ankles before I tape them. Prevents blisters and keeps the tape form sliding. $8 dollars a can and will last all season.

Thanks, vet gave me some pad-tough, I did research, going to use "Musher's Secret". Made in Canada for sled dogs, I think it is some different waxes, all natural I believe, even helps with snow balls between toes in the winter, I shall see if it worksl

Thanks, vet gave me some pad-tough, I did research, going to use "Musher's Secret". Made in Canada for sled dogs, I think it is some different waxes, all natural I believe, even helps with snow balls between toes in the winter, I shall see if it worksl

I'm curious to hear how this works in the snow. I've had trouble with ice balls in between the toes of my setters for years.

I'm curious to hear how this works in the snow. I've had trouble with ice balls in between the toes of my setters for years.

I got one of those combs with the razor blade in it from the lady that cuts my hair. I comb upwards starting at the toes with my setters to get all the long hair out. Of course you have to have a dog that will sit still and let you do it. My pup does now that shes a little older. Keeps the ice balls and mudballs out. But I too wonder how the wax stuff works. Would be easier than combing toes.

Have you tried cutting the hair between their toes? My springers always had the same problem until I started running the hair buzzer through their feet. Then there is nothing for the snow to attach to.

I've used Musher's Secret in the past with not too good results. Helps a little with snow balls if you re-apply very frequently. Wears off fast. Boots work the best.

What are the best boots that you've found? I tried using the ones from ASD last year and I could get them to stay on well enough but the problem I had was my dog basically wore the bottom rubber sole out in two days of hunting. Is there a better brand? What do you use/do to keep them on?

I've only used boots a couple of times. Lewis dog boots are probably the best. Kind of a pain to put on but if done properly they will stay on.

I've never had a problem with my dog's pads. Guess they are toughened up enough by hunting season. Now snow between the toes is another issue. My previous Brittany had all kinds of problems with snow between her toes. My current Brittany never has a problem with it. Just a difference in their feet and their hair.

Actually, the vet was thinking it was from spending too much time in Ft. Peck working on retrieving, she said it may be due to pads being too moist, my summer work involved early morning runs and mid days at the lake, for about an hour or so, so that may have led to troubles, he also wrestles with the other pup I have quite a bit on their concrete kennel floor. Already seeing improvement with Pad-Tough from vets, need to have him ready to go, hosting a hunt for former military folks in two weeks. Thinking Mushers Secret will help protect both pups in our harsh Montana winters.

I've used Musher's Secret the past couple seasons on my Brittany after constant issues with ice balls on/in between toes. It's worked great as we hunt the most between Nov-Jan and cold wet weather seems to always be a problem. I typically just put it on really heavy at the start of each day and he does great. To be fair, he's never had problems with his pads (before or after using it) so not sure if it's helped or not there.

Back