Weekend Report

I hunted Friday afternoon for a hour in a spot I had never hunted and was hoping for some Quail but all I found was one wild flushing rooster and a Coyote
Saturday afternoon I hunted all buffer strips that were thick switch grass with some foxtail mixed in. Lots of birds but 90% flushed wild 3 hens and 3 young roosters held for a point and I connected on the 3 roosters. I hope the wind was causing the wild flushes if not its going to be a long season, these birds have not been hunted.

Sunday morning - More buffer strips until 10, the birds held better but 1 out of the 15 that held tight were roosters.
there were still some track stars, 3 times she was working some hot scent and I hear/saw roosters jump 80+ yards in the direction we were going.
10-noon, I went to a public spot that has gotten hammered with hunters and was really trying to find some quail in some brushy out of the way spot. She pointed one covey and the brush had swallowed me at that moment so no shot. When I went to follow the singles more of the same with wild flushing birds.
I did have one rooster hold perfect and then she caught someone else's cripple so it was a win for the weekend.

Back