Week day hunting

BigRand

Thank goodness I get weekdays off and can go hunting. Makes working evenings and weekends bearable. Made a quick trip with the dog and myself. Got to the public area we intended to hunt about ten. Had scouted this area earlier this fall and have been waiting for crops to come out. As we pull up a rooster flushes right as we pull up. Quickly hop out and get Asher ready. Go right to where he landed and she freezes on point. Up he jumps and down he goes with one shot. Asher grabs him and appears out of the rushes bird in mouth. Big smile from me as she is only two and just starting to retrieve birds. As we continue we get many hens up close and a few jumpy roosters too far to shoot at. Walked to the other side of the hunting area and Asher gets really birds and confused. Usually means multiple runners when this happens. Up jumps a nice rooster off her nose. We drop him and with the shot the ground around us erupts. Seven more roosters take flight. Swinging on the second he folds. First double of the season. Sitting at the truck by 11:30. Great day afield.

Not a week day today but made it out to the same piece of public ground. Went the opposite way than I started on Friday because I saw more birds that way. Only found one group of ten hunkered down in some thick head high cover. As well as a wild and jumpy rooster. Decided to head back the way I started on Friday. Start getting birds up right away. Asher trailed the first one for about five minutes as he kept running. Finally got up when we cornered him with the road. First old bird we got this year. Probably why he ran so much. Kept going along the fenceline and Asher goes on point and as I walk up I see the weeds moving and take off after it. She eyes the bird and runs him down doing a roll as she tackles rooster number two. Walk for about another half hour getting hens up periodically. Finally she freezes and up jumps our final rooster. Put him in the bag right as the clock struck noon. Can't ask for a better day.

Back