Weather for central MT. and maybe on to the est

calamari

I just heard from a friend who had to contact the DFW office in Glasgow and was told by the person there it's been raining for two weeks and the roads are impossible gumbo now. The weather service has a flood warning for the north central part of the state through Thursday. It's snowing in Malta right now and if you look at the Accuweather radar map it looks like a swirling hurricane whose fringes extend into Canada and the eye is right over Lewistown.
Here's a picture from a web cam near Malta. It will update over time so you can see how it goes.
STAY OFF THOSE GUMBO ROADS! Even if you have a 4wd that can get around on them you'll pack your vehicle with mud and weeds which is grounds for the property owner to not allow you to hunt. Very concerned about noxious weeds in MT. It also tears those county roads up making you no friend of the locals. They wait until it dries or freezes at night and drive very early and late.
Vid-000269000-00-00-2016-10-04-15-14.jpg

It's been raining here in Billings since Sunday night. We've gotten over 2" of rain so far and it's still coming down.

Montana weather is just bizarre its kicked my ass every trip 2 turkey trips snow rain then hot in a April may went grouse hunting NE MT was 85-98 every day 6.5 days basicly to hot to hunt most the day...

Once I get my gobbler outta Montana I'm done with it lol

I just heard from a friend who had to contact the DFW office in Glasgow and was told by the person there it's been raining for two weeks and the roads are impossible gumbo now. The weather service has a flood warning for the north central part of the state through Thursday. It's snowing in Malta right now and if you look at the Accuweather radar map it looks like a swirling hurricane whose fringes extend into Canada and the eye is right over Lewistown.
Here's a picture from a web cam near Malta. It will update over time so you can see how it goes.
STAY OFF THOSE GUMBO ROADS! Even if you have a 4wd that can get around on them you'll pack your vehicle with mud and weeds which is grounds for the property owner to not allow you to hunt. Very concerned about noxious weeds in MT. It also tears those county roads up making you no friend of the locals. They wait until it dries or freezes at night and drive very early and late.
Vid-000269000-00-00-2016-10-04-15-14.jpg

We here in Valley county have been in a flood warning last couple of days, reports of 5-7 inches of moisture in parts of the area including Philips county over by Malta, worse appears to be west of Glasgow. Temps are forecast to remain cool till Saturday or Sunday, hopefully drying things out. It is blowing about 30 mph and 35 right now, looks like a muddy opener for pheasants. I imagine there are a few guys stranded in the breaks along the Missouri elk hunting. Even hard graveled roads are a mess right now. Even over east things are still bad, my buddy said he can hardly get into his yard from all the rain and snow. Great moisture, but a lot to handle in a few days time, good part is it will be excellent for bird dogs!

Lol that's funny right there :10sign:

I feel your pain. We got to the cabin last week, and three of the four dogs found something dead to roll in before we new it.

Hinsdale- Saco- Glasgow

hi all hunted , well tried to hunt beaver creek , east of Bowdoin refuge in NE Montana Sat. There is a 4 foot wall of water flowing across over a mile of lowland... the water wall hit, due to a deluge in the LITTLE ROCKY Mountains, south of Malta...
many of the fields bordering the MILK river east of Bowdoin are under " FEET" of water, and will be for the remainder of the fall... so you know on your travel plans.

Wasn't all from the Little Rockies, Many parts of Philips and Valley county had 5-7 inches of rain, then some snow. There was a report on the newscast out of Helena of 9 inches near Slippery Ann. Two years ago in August there was another event like this in which tons of hay were lost. Then, of course, the winter of 2010-11 and the preceding heavy summer rains created a flood of the century. Seems hard for this area to catch a break right now weather wise.

I was going to leave on Sat. the 8th to go back and fish and hunt some. I postponed to Sunday...then Monday, Tuesday and now tomorrow, Wednesday. It's shows a warming trend so maybe there'll be liquid water to fish in and not through but it could be so muddy and high it would be unfishable in the small ponds and lakes I wanted to fish. The unpaved roads could be impassable for some time too. A crap shoot at best.

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather reports even though it doesn't matter. My dates are set and I'll be there to hunt no matter, the dogs love mud and swamps anyways.:cheers:

Its snowing where I'm headed right now.

Last edited:
Hunted in snow before the opener for sharps and Huns and there was a decent amount of snow still around for the pheasant opener. Sunday it was 70 degrees and now it's back to be chilly again.

Today's results for 2 guys.

Had to be careful on what roads we drove up near the border but we've moved south now and the roads are dry.

Looks like a good day to me! I'll be down in the South Central part of the state Monday and Tuesday before heading on to SD.

I'll be down in the South Central part of the state Monday and Tuesday before heading on to SD.
By then everything should be pretty much back to normal where ever you go. Dry and warming trend forecasted. There's some nice pictures on the MT web cams of hundreds of acres of water on both sides of some of the highways.

Yeah, PTM said he's living in a swamp, said my dog would be swimming in this pic right now.

Back