waterproof boots

dustin mudd

Hi since Northern Montana is a bayou, I went looking for a "MUCK" type boot at retailers yesterday.... I don't want a boot for waterfowling( standing) I want something that wont turn into a sauna while walking... what style would you recommend , looking at their website was almost as confusing.

I see Bogs, Lacrosse as well as Muck

I hear people love their boots of this ilk, anyone have advice!

thanks,

I think those rubber boots are gonna heat your feet unless it's dang cold. Have you looked at the water proof boots offered by makes who use Gortex for waterproofing? Basically a standard lace-up hunting boot. My Danners, for example, are made with Gortex.

boots

I do have a couple of pairs of gortex lined boots. but even with snow seal, the stiching seems to allow some dampness into my socks? maybe that is the way of the world?

I do have a couple of pairs of gortex lined boots. but even with snow seal, the stiching seems to allow some dampness into my socks? maybe that is the way of the world?

there have been a number of articles over the years on snow seal, plain and simple it doesn't work. ya might try some silicone spray, I have pretty good luck using it. no leather boot is water proof in really wet conditions over a long period of time but gortex I think is the best out there and in most cases should get you through the day, if the boots have seen a lot of use over several years, they will leak.

cheers

I wear wool socks and carry an extra pair in my gear bag on a day long hunt. Rubber is the only thing that keeps water out. But, it traps sweat. I wear mucks for rubber boots. For goretex I wear llbean tech boots for colder weather and snow. And, I recently bought a pair of Irish Setter Havoc boots. I really like them. I have waded in water and my feet stay quite dry, only sweaty. I say the secret is dry socks for the sweaty feet.

Rubber is the only way to stay dry but I've found no matter what I wear I can find a way go over them.

Even wet grass will soak through on most gore tex boots once they get some miles on them.

Rubber is the only way to stay dry but I've found no matter what I wear I can find a way go over them.

Even wet grass will soak through on most gore tex boots once they get some miles on them.

I agree with both points. I wear cheap steel shanks with an insole if I plan on hunting anywhere that may have standing water. I find water deeper than the boots a few times a year. I've been thinking about a pair of LaCrosse or Mucks for a while now though. There's also a european comany (can't remeber the name) that make some high end "muck" type boots that have rave reviews but are pretty pricey.

Also, a good coating of Obenhauffs does wonders for leather/ gortex boots.

Boots

I have had great reults with Lacross Grange uninsulated boots. Sweating dosen't seem to be a problem for me however I don't use them in real hot weather.

water proof liners

while I mostly use a regular hunting boot, I have had pretty good luck with gortex, I have tried to go cheaper a couple of times and tried other types of water proof liners, have had very bad luck with them, recently I had a pair from cabela's using one of their liners, first day in damp conditions, like pretty wet grass, I was dove hunting and not walking all day. in about two hours mostly standing, I could wring the water out of my socks, that's wet folks. took them back, no problem other than driving 2 hr. to do it. bought a pair of mucks for n. Dakota this nov. maybe it will be a case of wet from the inside or the outside, dunno

cheers

I use and like the Lacrosse AlphaBurley's for a rubber knee-high. The back is gusseted for calf fit and to help w/ putting on and off; rubber is pliable and thick, not flimsy at all; great ankle fit and stable feel, warm in freezing temps(not sub-zero) but they are a PAIN to put on/off, even w/ med. wt. socks--guess that's the trade off for snug ankle support without heel slip. Worth it to me when I need a knee-high.

The Euro Brand referred to above by 'quail hound' sounds like "Le Chameau" ?
I know some dog and horse trainers who swear by them, but they are high $$.

Muck Chore boots have done the trick for me. I also wear Gore-Tex pants and good socks that wick the sweat away. I can wear these boots all day and walk miles in them, they work in warm and cold weather. I just use warm socks when it's cold and wicking socks when it's warmer.

I really like the Muck Chore boots.

muck type boots

thanks, sounds like a good solution using them in the swamps, with wicking type stockings. good hunting it is pheasant season! almost:10sign:

The Euro Brand referred to above by 'quail hound' sounds like "Le Chameau" ?
I know some dog and horse trainers who swear by them, but they are high $$.

Those are the ones. I've been tempted to buy a pair on a few occassions, mostly when it was very cold and my feet were soaking wet.

Ditch the Sno-seal and start using Obenaufs.

A few months ago there was a huge uproar about Muck donating to the humane society of United States. Muck spun it initially as a typo on their website then said they donated to a local shelter. The local shelter said they did no such thing. Then muck spun it another direction. They changed the story too many times for me to believe them. If I buy a pair of neoprene boots, it's going to be lacrosse.

A few months ago there was a huge uproar about Muck donating to the humane society of United States. Muck spun it initially as a typo on their website then said they donated to a local shelter. The local shelter said they did no such thing. Then muck spun it another direction. They changed the story too many times for me to believe them. If I buy a pair of neoprene boots, it's going to be lacrosse.

I did buy a pair of mucks, hear what you are trying to say, I think very little of those organizations and that probably would have changed my mind if true

cheers

I did buy a pair of mucks, hear what you are trying to say, I think very little of those organizations and that probably would have changed my mind if true

cheers

And I'll add, I have no clue the true story on Muck and HSUS. I followed it closely and in a two weeks time period they had about 4 different stories about what happened and they each contradicted the previous versions.

Maybe they learned their lesson when all the hunters, fisherman, farmers, cattleman, horseman, etc bombarded their Facebook page. It wasn't just one group (us as hunters), there are a ton of people that use waterproof boots that are targeted by HSUS There were thousands of posts about how then groups would never buy Muck boots again because they were in bed with the devil.

I'm not to worried about politics when buying boots.... If I cared that much I wouldn't live in this Country...it's a political nightmare at every turn.

I'm not to worried about politics when buying boots.... If I cared that much I wouldn't live in this Country...it's a political nightmare at every turn.

If I have a choice of buying a product from a company that strongly supports my beliefs and donates to causes I believe in versus a company that donates to organizations that their everyday mission is to stop my way of life, I know which company I am going to support.

You are correct, it is a political nightmare at every turn. I'm trying to turn it in the right direction, rather than letting the otherside win all the time.

Back