Water retrieve on a rooster

Bob Peters

It hasn't happened for me yet unfortunately, but I know two girls who would really love to get the chance! 6.5 year old in the front, and 9 month old behind. Man I wish the pheasant season would hurry up and get here.

Attachments

• original_file_lock.jpg
    original_file_lock.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 10
I have no pictures or video of it but first year in SD had a perfect flush at the waters edge and the rooster flew out across the lake. One shot and a water retrieve while I stood up on the high bank and got to see it all. Was great!

I have several too. And its great for the dog, not so much to carry in a vest 2 miles from truck and a cold ND wind blowing. Lol

This was my 5 1/2 month old Drahthaar, Bianca v.d. Berge, first blind retrieve. The rooster was wounded and hiding in the grass on the far bank. I was able to get her across the creek by throwing a piece of a bone (no rocks) in the water. once in the water her nose took over and she caught and retrieved the bird to hand. This was a crafty wild rooster.
F1E087DF-FEBD-44E2-9243-2AB5D0766805.jpeg

I have no pictures or video of it but first year in SD had a perfect flush at the waters edge and the rooster flew out across the lake. One shot and a water retrieve while I stood up on the high bank and got to see it all. Was great!
I bet it was! Thanks for sharing :). The older dog has some long fowl retrieves so I've no doubt she'd be up for a rooster in the water.

I am pretty sure I will have no opportunities for water retieves this fall. It is always "extra points" to drop one in water. Finding some water will be an issue this year.

My wife captured the end of a water retrieve. A few falls ago there were many due to the insane amount of moisture we had. Note: It is the only water retrieve I have on video that doesn't have shaky footage, me hollering "ROOSTER, ROSTER, ROOSTER" in the background, or lame music in the background. ;). Enjoy!

Dixie has been fortunate to get several water birds. This had to be the best one.

These photos are a retrieve she made on a bird the hunters on the other side of the small lake shot and fell just on the outside edge of the cattails on their side of the lake. Their dogs either didn't mark the fall or wouldn't' go through the thick cattails to get it. But Dixie saw it go down and being primarily a duck dog and accustomed to big water, I sent her! I did have to give her a couple of BACKs to keep her going but she got it and brought it to hand!

I didn't say anything to the guys I was with during the retrieve and took these photos after she got it. It was just one of those moments when everyone was stopped and watching in silence. After the retrieve they just said, "I would have bet you that that dog would never get that bird!" Yes, I was a proud dog man that day!

Hunt, 2020-10-18 (1).JPG
Hunt, 2020-10-18 (2).JPG
Hunt, 2020-10-19 (8).JPG

I hunt many WPAs so have had numerous water/mud😉 retrieves. We used to hunt a little finger of land that was a peninsula into a lake. Got many retrieves there but more off the ice as we usually didn't get on that private property till around Christmas. It was there we kicked out a wounded duck that could only fly about 30 yards before it came down running on the ice and then launched again. 60 yards out a bald eagle nailed it. Eagle flared it wings gave a screech and then flew out of sight with its prize. Hope it didn't die of
lead poisoning from that duck.

Forgot to say mine were all done by a Setter. Not usually known to like water but mine was determined to get it no matter where it was. He was an amzing dog. Sure do miss him!

I was hunting a public WMA in Nebraska last November. It was insanely windy. Up to this point neither of my young Springers had a chance at a water retrieve. Sure enough, I dumped a bird in the lake and the wind was carrying it away from shore at a rapid pace. Just as I thought there was no chance at retrieving that bird, I heard a splash. My female swam that bird down and brought it right back to me. It had to be a 50+ yard retrieve. I was especially excited, as this was my first hunt with a GoPro. I didn't bother to take any pics with my phone. I figured I would capture images from the GoPro video...but the damn thing wasn't recording! I still get goose bumps when I think about that hunt!

I hunted a large WPA and had 2 birds in my vest when my dog went on point, with a bird somewhere in 5 yards of grass before a 8 acre pond. The bird got up and was flying about 10 yards out over the water almost parallel to the shore. I fired and hit it pretty good as a leg immediate dropped. Think the bird had blood in its eyes as it changed directions and headed across the water. Almost 1/2 way it helicoptered up and splashed down dead. Now it was maybe 40 degrees and there was a 15 to 20 mph wind. The dog never saw the bird go down so I figured sending him was a waste of time.
It was 20 minutes till sunset so I hiked out to the car and left my gun. I put on a winter coat as I knew it would be cold facing into the wind waiting for the bird to wash ashore. Dog and I got into position and we waited. When the bird was about 40 yards out I pointed and told the dog fetch. He ran up and down the shore looking back at me for guidance. I threw a rock and he marked it but wasn't interested in that trick. I went to wade in with my hip boots on which I often wear in those WPAs . Well about 5 feet in and it was too deep. I waded back out and noticed the dog had scented the bird. I again said fetch and he was gone. He swam out and did a small circle , located the bird and completed the retrieve. Got back to the car about 10 minutes after legal sunset.

My retired lab, Parker, had several water retrieves in ND and SD. Like Hunt1GSP said, lightly hit ones can really scoot through the water using their wings as paddlewheels.

Back