Water levels

mnydir

Finally done bowhunting and going to be heading to sw MN next weekend. What are the sloughs like after all the dry weather this summer. Is there deep water in the cattails or is it walkable.

It’s wetter than you may think. It was dry but several storms late July and early August restored a lot of water.

I found it spotty in my area (also SW). The late rains must have been more localized because a few sloughs that I've jumped ducks in past years were dry enough to walk across but others appeared almost normal.

Many of the small potholes I have seen this fall are completely dried up in central MN. Some of them I have literally never seen fully dry like this. The lakes and rivers are about 2 feet down.

The SW portion of the state is better off than other areas according to the drought monitor.

Was in what I consider sw mm today. Muck boots barely high enough. Had to back track alot

Attachments

• 20211203_124258.jpg
    20211203_124258.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
All depends ... some areas of W and SW MN received plenty of rain this fall. Others much less...

I went into the season thinking I would never need my rubber knee boots and wasn’t packing them in my truck. After the second week they went in and seem to use them a couple of times a week.

I'm wearing rubber knee boots every day, in fact currently at home trying to warm up after filling both boots today after making a bad decision!!!!

A lot of places we hunted from Mankato to Worthington area were pretty dry. Not all but some smaller shallower cattail sloughs were almost completely dry. Anywhere by a lake was plenty wet in the cattails though. Don't think I'll be hunting till freeze up at this point.

Back