Was anyone out today?

BrownDogsCan2

Was planning on hunting tomorrow but the rain forecast gave me a chance to move it up a day. I ended up hunting some steel shot land that I haven't been on in over 15 yrs. I think the only other time I had been on it we made a quick pass through it on the way to someplace else. Today I didn't know were to start or what to expect.
I picked a parking area and started walking. I quickly got turned around and headed out to the road to get my bearing. The grass was wet! and thick. Management had planted some millet strips so I started there. For being on new ground birds were fairly easy to find but kept blowing out the ends of the millet out of range. Switched to grass and saw a lot fewer birds but shootable. Ended up with two roosters and a quail.
My excitement for the day was tripping over a cottonwood branch coming into a covey flush. I think I busted loose ever joint, and bone in my body. It sucks getting old. Be carefull out there guys! and happy hunting.

I went out today. Hiked to the far back of a property which always holds good number of pheasants in a big area of thickets. It's a long hike back through thick CRP. Half way there I was soaking wet from the wet snow. Let the labs thoroughly hunt the area and didn't flush one single bird. It was an even longer hike back to the truck.

Frustrated and wet, I turned tail and went home thinking all the way I shoulda been on my pond hunting ducks in my dry duck blind.......

We hunted - would have rather hunted today -- I was surprised not to see many deer hunters out. I wonder if license sales are down.

Combination of the states piss poor management and drought. That's what happens when you pimp out a resource and act like there's a never ending supply. As much as I enjoy having the ability to hunt deer statewide - going to that system for white tails was the dumbest thing they ever did -- smartest was removing T-Tags, though during that time we had more deer around.

Made the decision to bird hunt rather than deer hunt this weekend. I think I'm getting over my deer craze which I've been in the past 5 years. Much rather bird hunt now. My wife shot a nice buck Wednesday evening (her first deer) and much to my surprise I don't really have any desire to shoot a buck myself. So, went out Saturday afternoon and also got pretty wet, but sure beats sitting at home. Ended the day with two roosters, should have had a third. Quite a few hens which was nice, but even they were pretty wild. The moisture was nice, ended up with good scenting conditions which led to good dog work. I too was surprised I did not run into any other deer hunters.

Back