Warm up coming!!!!

Your cold temps are sliding down to Iowa, I might just take this weekend off, one remaining after this one.
I'll be heading to Iowa next week. Looks like south Iowa will have to much snow, so I'll probably above 80. I'm not familiar with that area. Any advise??

I am in NW IA, no snow here....way north of 80...just not much public in my back yard. I did take my pup into some IHAP about 20 miles away, didn't see any birds...did step into a hole and fell like king kong going down in there. We actually could use some snow to group them into the heavy cover, might not be the best for the birds but make hunting them much easier. Monday and Tuesday look like nice temps here, but looks to be windy. Look for areas or counties that have decent amounts of public areas.

I am in NW IA, no snow here....way north of 80...just not much public in my back yard. I did take my pup into some IHAP about 20 miles away, didn't see any birds...did step into a hole and fell like king kong going down in there. We actually could use some snow to group them into the heavy cover, might not be the best for the birds but make hunting them much easier. Monday and Tuesday look like nice temps here, but looks to be windy. Look for areas or counties that have decent amounts of public areas.
Thanks. The farthest North I've been Is storm lake area. There wasn't much cover around there!!

Drove by a WPA around 4 pm…about 75 or more feeding in a tilled field adjacent to cattails, maybe more, I would guess…fresh snow yesterday…right off of a state hwy…start there in the am…was -5 with some wind when I drove by…nah!

6.2 miles, 2 flushes, 2 in the vest, seen maybe 15 or so total, 3 other roosters for sure that were out 50-100 yards….one more spot…

I'd planned to take the weekend off, but Ace was unexpectedly cleared for active duty by the Doc Friday. Yesterday was brutal. -30 windchill. I blew a perfect opportunity at a true, staggered triple. Ended up with one. Much shame. 🤦‍♂️ Today was awfully nice, actually. And Ace was much happier with my performance. His performance was, as usual, stellar.
20220102_173656.jpg

I'd planned to take the weekend off, but Ace was unexpectedly cleared for active duty by the Doc Friday. Yesterday was brutal. -30 windchill. I blew a perfect opportunity at a true, staggered triple. Ended up with one. Much shame. 🤦‍♂️ Today was awfully nice, actually. And Ace was much happier with my performance. His performance was,
Seen he was layed up a while, glad to see your back in action.

Interesting, birds flushing very wild or holding pretty tight…all my shots have been pretty close, under 20 yards…flushes have been half that…8.5 miles today

Last edited:
Glad to hear BB; Nice to enjoy a day like that this late in the season. Last January was relatively mild, and it looks like it could be a repeat this year. Best of luck!

Fishing was a bust. Only 2 keepers Monday and couldn't get on the ice Tuesday because the Corps raised the river 30 inches overnight. Took Breez (cancer dog)out for a short 15 acre walk Monday afternoon. Several hens early, then she locked up at the end of a patch of cover. I waded in. 1st rooster got up going straight away. Dumped him to the ground at 25 yards. Second got up and dropped him at 20 yards. Reloaded and stood there watching her retrieve when a 3rd got up . Dropped him on the 2nd shot out of the 686. Landed 30 yards away. Feet planted in one spot the whole time. If this is her last hunt, it will be one for the memory bank, and I think I found her final resting spot. 😀

Hard to imagine a better tribute to Breez, Reddog. Very, very tough to say goodbye, but what a great memory you will have.

Fishing was a bust. Only 2 keepers Monday and couldn't get on the ice Tuesday because the Corps raised the river 30 inches overnight. Took Breez (cancer dog)out for a short 15 acre walk Monday afternoon. Several hens early, then she locked up at the end of a patch of cover. I waded in. 1st rooster got up going straight away. Dumped him to the ground at 25 yards. Second got up and dropped him at 20 yards. Reloaded and stood there watching her retrieve when a 3rd got up . Dropped him on the 2nd shot out of the 686. Landed 30 yards away. Feet planted in one spot the whole time. If this is her last hunt, it will be one for the memory bank, and I think I found her final resting spot. 😀
Wow, what a memory Rollie. Good girl Breez.

Back